Everything to create fb instant game

jinzo7

Hello, everyone!

Im interested in creating instant games for facebook. There are a lot of content in facebook sites. Really a lot of. Im confused a bit.

Substantially I have an idea about a card game from my childhood and I want to implented it for facebook. For me - I am pixi game developer and I know how to "backending". LOL!

I have few questions before step in to the deeper facebook documentation. The questions are the basics so it can be helpful for everybody.

The questions:

• Can I use pixi? Yes! But is it a good idea ?
  • Is there anyone that earn from the instant game and how ?
  • I want to make it multiplayer.  What facebook offers for multiplayer gaming ? 
  • Are there any tutorials, examples and so on ?
  • What I have to focus? I mean I will create the gameplay easy and then what? Sure Ill follow the best practices given from facebook but are they hard - the all in-game games,bonuses and so on? Can I release firstly a poorer game and than release next versions ?  
  • What you are going to advice me before start learning the apis, creating the game and etc ?

For now Im not sure how the end looks like but Im going to try. Also I think the post will be helpfull for every beginner in the area. I will follow, update and comment the post often as possible. So lets do it,  guys! 
Thanks !

I'll have a stab at these as I like to snapshot my view on things periodically ...

5 hours ago, jinzo7 said:

Can I use pixi? Yes! But is it a good idea ?

Yes and yes.  Pixi has a very decent power to size ratio and solid compatibility (v4.8 may be wisest in 2019?).  For a competent developer capable of spinning their own game structure Pixi is ideal for a lightweight browser game.  Coming in at less than 5MB total for your IG is wisest.

Is there anyone that earn from the instant game and how ?

Red tape aside, it's possible but improbable to make money releasing a single game.  Primary monetisation choice with FB IG is in-game ads (which are a low value transaction for a developer and an intrusion to the player).  In-game purchases have more value but will require significant retention first.  Or consider indirect value generation such as consultancy services, brand building, learning for the next game?

I want to make it multiplayer.  What facebook offers for multiplayer gaming ?

FB IG is inherently multiplayer (async).  Within the SDK are context (group) leaderboards, notifications, packet sharing (challenges).  That being said the vast majority of initial plays will be in solo mode, so a compelling single player experience is necessary for retention.  Get creative for the crossover!  For more advanced multiplayer use a custom backend.  Having some separation / abstraction from the Facebook SDK might be wise in case other markets are a better fit for your game?

Are there any tutorials, examples and so on ?

For Multiplayer specifically?  Yes there's a TicTacToe example that covers the basics of a client-server model.

What I have to focus? I mean I will create the gameplay easy and then what? Sure Ill follow the best practices given from facebook but are they hard - the all in-game games,bonuses and so on? Can I release firstly a poorer game and than release next versions ?

My advice is play some of the popular titles, understand what the FB IG audience seem to be attracted to and how other developers are leveraging the SDK to create retention and monetisation - warning, some of it can be ugly.  Iterative development is going to be crucial, however you'll likely only be promoted once - so use it wisely, and use each territory to run a split test.  Or build several games and apply the learning from one to the next etc.

What you are going to advice me before start learning the apis, creating the game and etc ?

If you haven't built dozens of games already, FB IG probably isn't for you yet?  Imo there are better platforms that can help evolve game development skills and player retention mechanics.  Instead see FB IG as a specific audience with a specific style of game - developing a game precisely for that might work out very well (FB has a HUGE potential audience after all).

Imo Messenger games should be about decorating a conversation, in the same way filters decorate a photo.  So quick, contextual, personalised, fun, indisposable.  That's not necessarily a standard casual game, so changing some assumptions and expectations may be wise.  Just my advice, your mileage might vary!

• 2 weeks later...