Top-down racing game - PoC

MiniMindGames.com

I like it! But after 20 levels or so, I start to lose a purpose? Procedurally generated levels are cool, but if everything else stays the same (AI competition, my driving ability, the challenge/risk) then the levels still end up feeling the 'same'.

Definitely work on it more. But the next step is to add increasing difficulty/challenge, and maybe some kind of end-game mechanism. Lives/losing system is standard, and would work ok. 3 lives, you get further and further, each time you slip up, you lose a chance.

For increased difficulty, either road obstacles start appearing (bombs in the road? Cow crossing the street? tornado blowing around the map ala Super Speed?), the AI starts getting a bit faster (or more aggressive! Maybe they get spikes on their wheels after level 10.... or one of them gets their hands on a shotgun. :)

Also add scoring. Keep track of how many levels get beaten, and then save them in an online highscore. I just beat 20 levels, and I don't feel like doing it again. I 'might' do it again, if some guy beat 30 levels, and I know for sure I can beat that. :) 

Also: Took me at least 10 levels before I realized the levels were procedural. ? 

Good luck!

@Wolfsbane Thanks for the tips.

I decided to go with achievements to add some more challenge and purpose. I suppose it's also an OKish victory / end-game condition to collect all the achievements, as long as it's entertaining...

That being said, the next thing is to make it more delightful such as adding some explosions and shotguns. I guess that ought to be fun  :)

Link to game Top-down racing game

Some progress on map generation, but I noticed performance problems on my older Android mobiles with 150x60 tilemap. It was enough to change the bottom layer to static and switching off anti-aliasing:

render: {
                antialias: false
            }

map.createBlankDynamicLayer => createStaticLayer

A big hand to Phaser 3 devs for fullscreen and scaling! They are are a bliss especially on small screens:

scale: {
                mode: Phaser.Scale.FIT,
                autoCenter: Phaser.Scale.CENTER_BOTH
            }

scene.scale.startFullscreen();

Game design-wise there's no progress... I am struggling how to make it more rewarding but yet non-competitive..?