what's the best program to get started.

parthshah

I've always wanted to actually properly finish a full project, but always had something holding me back, but I'm sick of talking myself out of doing something because it's going to be hard.

So I want to make a 2D JRPG (So original), I have some experience with GameMaker 1 (In fact I still have a copy of the indefinite trial version) but am thinking that moving up to a more up to date program would suit my needs better.

So when it comes to creating a 2D game, would GameMaker Studio 2 or Unity Personal be better.
Unity Personal is free, though I have limited experience with Unity as a software. While GameMaker Studio costs $40 for a 12-month license for a PC/Mac only version. Or $100 for a permanent PC/Mac/Mobile version.

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of some weeks already, but if you read this... Well if you are going for 2D JRPG, why not RPG Maker MV? RPG Maker MV is mostly Html5/PIXI.js with a RPG editor. I think it will make a lot of things easier for you when it comes to RPG functionalities like battles, dialogues, menus...

• 2 months later...

Another late reply, but I thought I'd share my opinion: I think Game Maker is a lot simpler tool for 2D games than Unity, and I'm not sure how well the latter is suited for HTML5 game development specifically. Unity allows you to make a lot of features, but for a 2D JRPG, you won't be needing many of the more complicated features, such as physics simulations, etc.

• 1 month later...

If you would come by and read this, In my opinion Unity is a great tool, if you want to make rpg's and then some more and bigger stuff, i suggest you to start with Unity. Start with more complicated soft from the beginning, that will give you a lot of cool tools and a lot of exp. Maybe you won't need a good chank of it for an rpg, but you'll become familiar with the it's ui, and it'll help you with later projects. If you want to make only rpg's (which is cool too!) RPG Maker is a nifty nice program for your goals! 

• 1 month later...

If you really want to finish a game then I'd suggest starting small at first. I've dabbled with RPG, and making a full-fledged game isn't gonna be quick or easy. The longer the development process, the more likely you'll abandon it. 

Now, it is expensive, but I would also throw Adobe Animate into the mix. Again, it's some $250 per YEAR, but if you have the funds it's an excellent tool for making simple HTML5 games (and animations, sprite sheets, apps, ect). 

Good luck!