Converting Macromedia Shockwave game to newer technologies

90sDan

Hi! I have an old game made in the mid-90s with Macromedia Shockwave. It runs on older Versions of Windows and Mac. Now I want to bring the game onto mobile devices (iOS and Android). Unfortunately Shockwave and Flash died, and aren't available for mobile devices.  I have the original .DIR files (these files include all the animations, bitmaps, sounds and scripts) and the lingo script (the language the game where written with Macromedia Shockwave). Is there anyway to "convert" such old games to a newer technology? Whats the best way to bring the old game to mobile devices?

Thanks very much!

Daniel

Macromedia, Director, browser wars, CD-ROMs ... The 90s ... fun times!

You might find "re-imagining" your game to be a better fit with new devices, tech stack, and market expectations?  A "re-build" could involve extracting some assets from the .DIR files and hoping they fit the new approaches, but chances are you'd do better with the original master assets, rather than the ones imported into Director?  Whatever approach you adopt would likely require the developer(s) to be familiar with both Director and HTML5 (rare).

You might find this useful - a friend of mine was contributing to this project - I've not used it and I don't know what of the above it will do:
https://github.com/Earthquake-Project

I'm nostalgic towards this stack - let me know more, PM me, I can probably connect you.

Thank you very much! Does it means there is no "easy" way to convert the shockwave game to another technology? If I have to code a lot I rather would code the hole game from scratch again with the Unity Engine or smth. like that. What exactly I can do with the erathquake project? Thx

16 minutes ago, 90sDan said:

Thank you very much! Does it means there is no "easy" way to convert the shockwave game to another technology? If I have to code a lot I rather would code the hole game from scratch again with the Unity Engine or smth. like that. What exactly I can do with the erathquake project? Thx

I've never tried, but gut feel is that the landscape has changed sufficiently that a straight port might miss the mark?  That said, I don't know anything about your project, how complex or popular the game was, what a modern equivalent might be ...

Yes Unity in 2020 is probably analgous with Director from 2000 ... trying to do it all, succeeding at some.  Good luck!