WebGPU, will it replace WebGL?

Entaum

This will depend on advancement on the technical specifications and on their adoption by brower vendors and device manufacturers, but that is indeed the goal. WebGL is derived from OpenGL and is thus restricted to features that OpenGL supports. WebGPU builds on newer GPU system APIs and is also designed to be agnostic of the underlying platform technology (meaning it can be directly implemented on top of platforms such as Microsoft's Direct3D 12, Apple's Metal, and Khronos's Vulkan).

Standardization-wise, the WebGPU API and WebGPU Shading Language specifications are actively being developed in the GPU for the Web Community Group. The documents should soon enter the usual web standardization process in a GPU for the Web Working Group, whose creation is currently under review within W3C.

Thats great to hear, thank you. I was really excited when I first heard of it.

There seemed to be some sort of quarrel between Apple and Khronos, but I understand that this is not a barrier for webgpu... i hope..

Edited by Entaum