Basilisk, checkers meets snakes and ladders

nicoatridge

Basilisk is like checkers meets snakes and ladders... but without the ladders! It's a game I wanted to write for a while, and Covid-19 finally  gave me the opportunity. I wrote it initially in Python but ported it across to Javascript. You can play it at basilisk.net, with a user guide here. I think I need to make the third level a bit harder but appreciate any feedback.

endgame.png

Ok, I played this a bit, and I quite like it.

I think it's a bit unclear (or feels a bit unfair) about how the CPU captures you (I get that it's turn based and the CPU is second) but because it updates instantly it doesn't feel like you've got a chance to realise your mistake. Similarly, it's not obvious how you capture the CPU - I managed it once, by chance I think separating the turns might help making this clearler.

Nice game tho!

Hi Charlie, thanks for the feedback.

Basically the CPU will get you if you move to an adjacent square to its head, or a square that is adjacent via connected pieces. You reversed the play order by going through a spare segment and that's how you took him out too. On level 1 the cpu is a bit languid, and doesn't really try to establish a winning position early on.  You did well to get five stars, which is as many as you can get on level 1.

btw there's a user guide at https://basilisk.net/guide.htm, although I think the game ought to be reasonably intuitive. And that's why you are so right about an issue with there being a delay between your move being shown and the CPU's turn. It makes it so unintuitive.  I need to refactor the software to get that to work, because of a peculiarity in how javascript works, but I will work on it.

Edited by nicoatridge