[WIP] Final Fight Clone

shezzor

Hi everyone,

Here is my second browser based game using my own engine. It's a remake of the classic brawler, Final Fight by Capcom. Still in its early stages but I'm currently collecting all the graphics and meta data for the animation frames which there seems to be a never ending supply of at the moment :D. Hoping to have a series of vblog type videos showing the progress as it develops. 

Heres a small preview of the progress so far...

Final Fight - JavaScript game clone - part 2 (HTML5 / Canvas / Web Audio) - YouTube

Edited by shezzor

• shezzor changed the title to [WIP] Final Fight Clone

A little update. Been mostly updating my engine so that it can support the frame data that the game requires. There's a huge cast of characters as you can expect from this game and that comes with a heap of frame information. This data includes animations and hitboxes for the each move list for example which the engine now handles correctly. This means I can now start adding collisions and finally make this into a game of sorts :)

Final Fight - JavaScript game clone - part 4 (HTML5 / Canvas / Web Audio) - YouTube

Image140.png

Another update for those who are interested. I now have attacks and damage working along with death animations. This has been built so that all actors on the scene can use the system. As you can see from the video attached, this also works with scene objects (such as the telephone booth and trash can/bin). I've also updated the information panel at the top of the screen, which now also correctly shows the information as it gets updated :)

Next... onto enemy AI, so they can fight back :D 

Edited by shezzor

Plenty of changes in this update, some behind the scenes and some you'll be able to see from the attached video. Unfortunately we still don't have no proper AI in just yet but I am currently looking to work out the its state branching at the moment. Its actually quite complex but I think I've fathomed out how it works but putting it into code is where the fun is :D They do currently home in on a random player however so there is that! 

Random loot is now also dropped from the destroyable objects which can also be picked up. The maps/stages now also have proper collision detection so no more hard coding. You'll see this most at the end of the stage where the fighters no longer walk over the stair entrance.  

Enemy spawns can also be added to a stage, you'll see this in action with the doors that open, and it spawns 3 enemies onto the map. This is configurable and will be used to add new characters to the map as you scroll moving forward. 

You'll also may notice that I've added the opening objects and enemies in prep for the intro sequence. 

Edited by shezzor

• 6 months later...

Its been a while since the last update as I took a break last year. So this video is a long one and hopefully you can see that I've been busy updating my engine and game. Far too many changes to list here but its looking a little more polished and complete now. Still juggling with the AI however!

Edited by shezzor