Night in The Woods ( 2D Side-Scroller ) Open-Source

Mohammed Taher Ghazal

01.thumb.jpg.a9c40033667abc4be4eec9d011571127.jpg

02.thumb.jpg.a5386c87e0af65a917106aca1a7c8423.jpg

Website Link

I have been learning PixiJs for some time now, and recently I wanted to put everything I learned into one small project to deepen my understanding of it.
And it happened that I was playing the great game "Night in the Woods", so I decided to make a 2D side-scroller web app with the same feel and look of the game and can be used as 
the game promotional website.

As I said earlier, I am not experienced in Pixi.js, so there has been many obstacles and TONS of refactoring along the way.
Initially, I started building the app with vanilla JavaScript, then it became clear that TypeScript would be a much better option.
Finding the appropriate project structure proved to be a much harder thing than I thought it would be, and I wished that there was some general structure or "template" online that I could have used as the base for my project.
In the beginning, I thought about using a proper game engine ( as Phaser ) instead of the more general purposed rendering engine Pixi.Js, but I continued with it because I wanted to have a deeper understanding about the basics and lower-level stuff, then I may go to a full games engine. It was very hard at times, and many basic features are not implemented ( like multi-animations sprite ), but at the same time it was very informative ( and fun ).

I uploaded the project code on Github for anyone interested: Github Repo

I would love to hear your feedback and opinions.

• 3 months later...