Best way to render 2x2 squares as fast as possible?

Bombardlos

I'm trying to make a cellular automaton using Pixi.js, and so I want it as fast as possible. Each 2 by 2 square is a unit called a bug that looks like this: bug.png.95abcdbbebdc65d44927500db79067fa.png (without the outline). The top right and bottom left will always be the same color, so on start I currently create 3 sprites based on a white square, put one that covers the whole bug and then one in the upper and lower corner on top of it, create a new container, put these 3 sprites in it, and run a loop that does this and puts each new container in a 2d array that represents the board. Then on each update cycle, I cycle thru the array and for each bug that needs to change, I get its 3 children by id and change their tint.

I am very new to Pixi, and to javascript for that matter. I've read thru the pixi API a lot trying to understand how it all works, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something in my methodology that may make it run faster. Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...