What is the best method to monetize indie games

SaeedP

Hello,

I haven't made a game in over 15 years and wanted to try my luck in this industry. If possible, guide me and answer my questions.
Are you satisfied with the income of making the game and can you manage your life with it? Or do you do things like web design and design for a living?
How did you manage to monetize your game and what method would you suggest?
Steam, web games, mobile games, Facebook??

regards,
Saeed

I personally do software engineering contracting full-time and work in the games industry as a hobby. I'm not saying that it's not doable to create wealth or a living with games. It is totally possible even in this over-saturated market. You just have to be innovative and produce quality stuff - in an entertainment sense. You also have to know your target audience and know what kind of games entertain them.

Steam, web games, and mobile games - are all different platforms that entertain different kinds of audiences. For example, a game published on Steam, probably won't be as entertaining to players that only play web games.

My consensus is, to produce types of games that you enjoy playing and you know for a fact that there are other people like you enjoying playing these games. Find the reasons why this game is entertaining and build upon those.

If you want to consistently make a living with game development, you should treat it like a business.

Edited by vedia

On 11/8/2022 at 5:37 PM, SaeedP said:

Have you ever contact to game publishers or try your like in gamemonetize.com?

Yep, I publish on GameMonetize and GameDistribution. Revenue is OK, you can make some money, especially passively. I have a couple of really old games that still actively bring some money in. Especially considering their quality (they are quite bad).

GameMonetize seems to be a bit better at the moment, at least that is my experience, though I'd love for them to have a better analytics page.

GameDistribution on the other hand has a pretty good UI, but the UX is terrible. The speed of the platform is super slow and they take forever to respond to anything... I've been waiting for 2 months now to get my game published...

Revenue wise they are kind of the same.

(Note, this is all my experience, yours might vary)

Edited by vedia

On 11/9/2022 at 9:39 PM, vedia said:

Revenue is OK, you can make some money, especially passively. I have a couple of really old games that still actively bring some money in. Especially considering their quality (they are quite bad).

If it's not a secret, may I know how much the old games you mentioned make on average per month or year?

And what is their game engine?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...