pepperpunk dives into Haxe/openFL (with new pixi.js backend)

pepperpunk

Hello everyone!

Some of you may recognise me from the FGL forums.. I've decided to give html5 a whirl, getting stuck in in the easiest way possible for multi-platform development.

So far, it's a bit of a nightmare, but I'm enjoying it.  :P  Amazingly most of the problems have not resulted from my own coding errors (makes a change), but rather from inconsistencies between target platforms. html5 has caused the bulk of the headaches.

Anyway, with the last bug I encountered (font embedding), I decided to switch to the bleeding-edge pixi.js backend that has only been out for 9 days and has lots of stuff missing... but it also fixed the font embed problem I'd failed to figure out after 3 days, so that's a positive.

I'm documenting my progress over on my blog,but I figured I'd also keep this forum updated as well and ask if anyone else is using it as standard for the ease of being able to export to any target you like. Once I'm done with my first game I'll be looking at monetizing and doing a little public review of FGL's offering for html5, to see if it is any good.

The pixi.js backend is really rather nice. It auto-resizes smoothly, performance seems to be good.

However, it also currently has a lot of stuff not working, like audio or text rendering or positioning and probably a lot of other stuff too. Definitely a beta, but they've made it the default backend already! Hopefully all of that stuff will work by the time I complete my first game. :lol: