[WIP] Teardrops of Mylen

Maz

Teardrops of Mylen

neutral-zone.png.1b8da5bd2e6b5bf5ab9e0579ec477dd4.png

Hi, I'm here to talk about a project I'm working on and to start a list of roleplaying enthusiasts who want to be notified about its development.

About me

My name is Romain, I am a French developer specialized in video games and web applications with 13 years of passion and experience. Personally, I am not a big roleplayer, but I like to create and offer applications focused on a specific theme and get feedback from passionate users of this theme.

What makes this project unique

The web application I'm working on is a roleplaying website with two main purposes: The first one is a roleplaying forum with an intuitive navigation and basic forum features: emoticons, reactions, tags to write decorated texts, dice to allow you to create forum games and so on, your imagination will be my only limit. The second one is a 2D isometric browser game based on an evolving environment that the players will create by writing the story of the universe, the stories of the planets, the stories of the gods and all the stories needed to make the role-playing experience as immersive as possible.

Writing and roleplaying are the main focus of the project, the game is just there to help people create and experience the story they are talking about. To ensure this, the game is limited to a daily play time of 5-10 minutes. This is achieved by a very low daily token limit. After that, players go to the forums and talk for hours about their imaginary adventures.

How it started

The project started with a French version with a single environment, a post-apocalyptic sandy world. The application was conceived by a roleplaying forum community manager who also loved an old independent browser game called "Adept". The guy doesn't know anything about web development, so he looked for a developer during the year 2021 and we started it as a personal project.

Where are we now

As of today, the project is still under active development, we raised funds through a crowdfunding platform in 2022 to measure the enthusiasm of players and after an alpha and beta test period, we are about to launch the production version in September.
Alpha and beta testers are still here, full of enthusiasm to make this project live, and we've got thousands of emails from people who want to be notified for the launch.

The international version specifications

To make the game accessible to all types of roleplayers, the international version will introduce a multi-environment system based on a universe like Star Wars, with a post-apocalyptic planet, a medieval one, a futuristic one, and so on... If you prefer to be a knight, you'll create a character on the medieval world. Want to talk as a dwarf? Enter the fantasy world.

Each planet will have its own forum, which means that you'll need to create a character on the post-apocalyptic world to gain access to the post-apocalyptic forum, aside from the general "non-RP" forums (ideas, general discussion, support).

The game main rules

The game is set up like a massively multiplayer board game: a tiled map and various tokens. The main tokens are movement and action.

Each round lasts 24 hours, and you only get 6 action and 24 movement tokens, which are gradually distributed throughout the day.

You must feed your character each round. If you don't, your character will be hungry for the next round, and if he is not fed at the end of the second consecutive round, he will die and respawn in the middle of the board.

Each survived round gives you an experience point that you can distribute on your character's characteristics such as strength, constitution to improve your actions on the game board.

An endless game

The game basically never ends, there is no ultimate goal to reach that would end the game.

Even "dying" from an enemy hit will just leave you stuck and you can wait for an ally resurrection or choose to have your god reincarnate you in the center of the map.

Instead, there is a competition system based on various statistics when you perform your actions. Many of these statistics are attached to a variety of pictograms that can be collected with multiple rarity. Some pictograms are even distributed manually after winning a roleplaying competition or as a thank you for your participation in reporting bugs or suggestions.

I need all of you

Remember the beginning of that endless speech? The French project started with a community manager looking for a developer. The problem is that the international version will only be maintained by me, the developper, at least at first.
I can talk for hours about the web development process or graphical ai generation, but roleplaying and community management is not my cup of tea.

That is why I need a passionate community to actively participate in this project. I need players to make the forum and the game live, of course. But I also need people who want to actively participate behind the scenes.

The staff team will consist of 5 to 10 volunteers.
Daily tasks will be creating roleplaying contests on the forum, writing news, updating the changelog, guiding players on the game board, getting player feedback and answering their questions, organizing the community discord channel, ...
Each type of task will be assigned to a person according to their skills and preferences.

Want to be notified?

As of today, I plan to produce an alpha test version in the first quarter of 2024.

If you want to know more about this project, you can contact me by email on [email protected].

If you want to start to participate and be notified for any development progress, you can vote for your favorite role play theme using the poll present on https://mylen.forum , the three theme who get the most votes will be the firsts planets of the forum and game, your email will only be used for the pre-launch information, poll result and role play contests.

You can join the Discord channel

Of course I will also answer to all the questions you may ask directly on this forum thread.

Some screenshots from the french actual version

pantheon.thumb.png.60553987c00b78534ea38a4667ca728d.png

23622547_Capturedcrandu2022-12-0816-06-56.thumb.png.d1509517f1f4e98264918865b5d3f285.png

character-creation.thumb.png.17f4001ab80a13f5481fb49d9502e0b8.png

1465444484_Capturedcrandu2023-07-1200-04-34.thumb.png.1f7b1cde1a5d4ac97e829f3474cea868.png

Edited by Maz
Fix title and discord link

• Maz changed the title to [WIP] Teardrops of Mylen