Disable particular keys while game is paused

AndreasWienes

Hey guys,

I'm trying to code a pause function into my little game. I already read the other treads about this topic. I found no way to disable only particular keys, like the cursors, while game is paused. 

My code:

pauseGame: function() {        pauseSound.play();        this.paused = !this.paused;        if (this.paused) {            level.pause();            player.pause();        }        else {            level.resume();            player.resume();        }    }

And inside Player.js:

pause: function()  {        this.game.input.keyboard.removeKey(Phaser.Keyboard.UP);    },        resume: function() {        this.game.input.keyboard.addKey(Phaser.Keyboard.UP);            }

Thanks for your help!

All the best

Andreas

Thanks for your help but both attempts unfortunately don't work for me. 

Maybe 

game.input.keyboard.removeKey(Phaser.Keyboard.UP);game.input.keyboard.addKey(Phaser.Keyboard.UP);

is only working inside the create function?

removeKey performs correctly, but adding shows no reaction.

Disabling the whole keyboard, won't work, just because I need the "P"-key to reactivate the game.

Thank you Richard. Till now I used the createCursorKeys() function and checked if one of those keys is pressed inside the update function. So no event handlers have been used. After your hint I changed my code as follows:

create: function() {                this.cursors = this.game.input.keyboard.createCursorKeys();        this.cursors.left.onDown.add(this.moveLeft, this);                    },    moveLeft: function() {        this.jumpSound.play();        this.sprite.body.velocity.x = -150;            }

But from my point of view, the movement of the sprite is not happening in the update function when using the event handler. The sprite moves, but I need to press the key for each movement.

Make a global variable and set it to 0. Then when the game is paused set it to 1. If the variable === 1 just disable with that. Then in unpause reset the variable value back to 0 and initiate the keys again. Its how I did it in my own rolled paused function. Also may be useful I use 1.1.5 but that method can work outside of any phaser versioning.

Hello Heppell08,

This is what I'm doing:

myGame.Game = function(game) {    var paused = false;};
myGame.Game.prototype = {        create: function() {        pauseKey = this.game.input.keyboard.addKey(Phaser.Keyboard.P);        pauseKey.onDown.add(this.pauseGame, this);    },        pauseGame: function() {        pauseSound.play();        this.paused = !this.paused;        if (this.paused) {            level.pause();            player.pause();        }        else {            level.resume();            player.resume();        }    }}

And inside Player.js:

pause: function()  {        // this.game.input.keyboard.removeKey(Phaser.Keyboard.UP);        // cursors = this.game.input.keyboard.disable = true;            },

Could you please explain further what exactly you meant saying "just disable with that" or show me your solution with some code?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Thank you Richard. Till now I used the createCursorKeys() function and checked if one of those keys is pressed inside the update function. So no event handlers have been used. After your hint I changed my code as follows:

create: function() {                this.cursors = this.game.input.keyboard.createCursorKeys();        this.cursors.left.onDown.add(this.moveLeft, this);                    },    moveLeft: function() {        this.jumpSound.play();        this.sprite.body.velocity.x = -150;            }

But from my point of view, the movement of the sprite is not happening in the update function when using the event handler. The sprite moves, but I need to press the key for each movement.

Agreed - don't do it like this for player movement. Just wait until 2.0.3 lands in a day or two.