Phase.Game() states

rpiller

So all the examples I'm seeing create the game like:

var game = new Phaser.Game(w, h, Phaser.Auto, 'game', { preload: preload, create: create, update: update });

However, I'm using SignalR to make a multiplayer game and this doesn't seem to fit well with my needs. I make the connection to the server via SignalR first, and then once that's made I'll request the tilesets and map data from the server that I would normally do in preload/create (because the map is 100% dynamic). I assume I can call preload() and create() on my own which is fine for the setup, but how would I start the game loop then so update/render start getting called?

OK, I got the flow figure out. I didn't create the Phaser.Game until the client loaded the image information from server callbacks and I assigned them to global variables. Then after all that is stored in variables I create the Phaser.Game and all good.

OK, so I'm looking at the template and it seems like Phaser injects some variables and calls some functions of my "class" (create/preload/update).

What's the difference between create & preload? Normally states have one for transition in and one for transition out. Phaser seems to have 2 for transition in and none for transition out. Why is that?