How to scale text?

Joss

Been trying to use 'text.scale = ' to make my text bigger as the screen gets bigger, and although it seems to work, it stop the x,y positioning of the text from working

text.setText("GAME OVER\n" + "Score : " + score);
                         text.position.x = 100*scaleFactor;
                         text.position.y = 160*scaleFactor;

text.setStyle({font:"30px Arial", fill:"red", align:"center"});

if i add

text.scale = scaleFactor; then the text just ends up in the top left corner

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Joss

Hope it's ok to hijack this thread to ask another question about text rather than create an new one. :)

I've been trying to center my text within my screen dynamically. To do this I need the width of the text.

text.width always gives 300 no matter what my text is. text.texture.frame.width gives something which looks accurate but it seems to take a frame to update, meaning it's annoying to use. Is there a way around this - to create some text and immediately get it's size?

Edit: Actually it turns out text.width is correct, but just it doesn't update immediately and my console.log was reading it from the wrong point.

HappinessSam, the canvas context has a measureText function that can calculate the width of any text based on the context font and size. Just in case you might need it.

Edit: oh sorry, this is the pixi.js forum, thought it was a general canvas question

• 4 months later...

Hope it's ok to hijack this thread to ask another question about text rather than create an new one. :)

I've been trying to center my text within my screen dynamically. To do this I need the width of the text.

text.width always gives 300 no matter what my text is. text.texture.frame.width gives something which looks accurate but it seems to take a frame to update, meaning it's annoying to use. Is there a way around this - to create some text and immediately get it's size?

Edit: Actually it turns out text.width is correct, but just it doesn't update immediately and my console.log was reading it from the wrong point.

HappinessSam, I am running into the same issues.  Alignment is a bear.  When I read the width of the text right after I draw it (it is already added to the stage too) it always reads the same, no matter how it is scaled.  Did you see this issue as well?  If so, what did you do about it?