Sprite inheritance problem

Elad Sofer

Hi,

I have looked at the examples and i guess i am missing something... i am adding as much info as i have even most of it is probably irrelevant. Sorry for that,

I have the BasicGame class which has 4 states in different files (as shown in example): 

game.state.add('Boot', BasicGame.Boot);game.state.add('Preloader', BasicGame.Preloader);game.state.add('MainMenu', BasicGame.MainMenu);game.state.add('Game', BasicGame.Game);
I have also created a new class called BasicGame.Lizard which inherits from sprite exactly as explained in the examples
BasicGame.Lizard= function (game) {   Phaser.Sprite.call(this,game, 110, 350, 'lizard');};BasicGame.Lizard.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.Sprite.prototype);BasicGame.Lizard.prototype.constructor = BasicGame.Lizard;BasicGame.Lizard.prototype = { .... }
On the create function in BasicGame.Game i try to create a new Lizard :
this.lizard = new BasicGame.Lizard(this);

And get an "Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function " which is coming from this call stack.

1. BasicGame.Lizard- lizard.js:4 - (Phaser.Sprite.call(this,game, 110, 350, 'lizard') ;)

Thanks in advance for any help,

Elad.

BasicGame.Lizard.prototype = { .... } // remove this

Javascript inherritence is confusing so I may be wrong but I think that's the problem. You had set it's prototype to be a sprite, but then you just changed it.  If you want to add new functions to your Lizard object do this.

BasicGame.Lizard.prototype.anotherFunction = function() {

}

Well I assumed the prototype contains stuff and I realize that the {... } was to show that it's not important. But I thought if you were to create a prototype like that (including new variables and stuff) it would replace sprite as the prototype, therefore undoing the inherritence. But I totally could be wrong.