How to scale a game for different resolutions? (Typescript version)

Daniel Belohlavek

I've been trying without success to get a simple prototype (just a background) to scale on my mobile with Phaser using Typescript after reading this post http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/5949-solution-scaling-for-multiple-devicesresolution-and-screens/

I've asked both on the post and on IRC but I'm starting to feel that approaching this issue in TS is different from doing so in vanilla JS. So my question is:

How can I:

• Detect 5 different screen sizes (small, normal, large, xlarge, xxlargge) and load assets accordingly.
  • Scale my game in a way that works for PC (without it going 100% and looking blurry), Tablets and Mobile phones.
  • Scale both horizontally (landscape) and vertically (portrait).
  • Hide the address bar in as many devices as possible.

...in Typescript?

I'm sorry if these are too many questions to ask at once but I feel that it would also be helpful to other newbies starting out with Typescript. While Typescript is very useful in the long term (and helps me to keep my code very tidy), learning the basics and trying to get tutorials or code snippets is a lot harder than with JS. The two tutorials posted on Photonstorm allowed me to create a couple of desktop-only prototypes, but they do not cover how to do it on Mobile.

The structure I'm using for my TS projects contains the following core files:

• app.ts
  • Game.ts
  • Boot.ts
  • Preloader.ts
  • Menu.ts
  • BaseLevel.ts

Thank you for reading!

I've been trying without success to get a simple prototype (just a background) to scale on my mobile with Phaser using Typescript after reading this post http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/5949-solution-scaling-for-multiple-devicesresolution-and-screens/

I've asked both on the post and on IRC but I'm starting to feel that approaching this issue in TS is different from doing so in vanilla JS. So my question is:

How can I:

• Detect 5 different screen sizes (small, normal, large, xlarge, xxlargge) and load assets accordingly.
  • Scale my game in a way that works for PC (without it going 100% and looking blurry), Tablets and Mobile phones.
  • Scale both horizontally (landscape) and vertically (portrait).
  • Hide the address bar in as many devices as possible.

...in Typescript?

I'm sorry if these are too many questions to ask at once but I feel that it would also be helpful to other newbies starting out with Typescript. While Typescript is very useful in the long term (and helps me to keep my code very tidy), learning the basics and trying to get tutorials or code snippets is a lot harder than with JS. The two tutorials posted on Photonstorm allowed me to create a couple of desktop-only prototypes, but they do not cover how to do it on Mobile.

The structure I'm using for my TS projects contains the following core files:

• app.ts
  • Game.ts
  • Boot.ts
  • Preloader.ts
  • Menu.ts
  • BaseLevel.ts

Thank you for reading!

It's may be good start point for you.

app.ts

game.ts

boot.ts

preloader.ts

I see no reason to post menu and levels.

bower_components\phaser-official\build\phaser.d.ts

...class ScaleManager {        constructor(game: Phaser.Game, width: number, height: number);        static EXACT_FIT: number;        static NO_SCALE: number;        static SHOW_ALL: number;        static NO_BORDER: number;...

And index.html:

<!doctype html><html><head>  <meta charset="utf-8">  <title>slash-system</title>  <!-- build:css main.min.css -->  <link rel="stylesheet" href="css/main.css">   <!-- /build -->    <script src="bower_components/jquery/dist/jquery.js"></script></head><body>  <div id="game"></div>  <div id="orientation"></div>  <!-- build:js main.min.js -->  <script src="bower_components/phaser-official/build/phaser.js"></script>  <script src="js/ScaleManager2.js"></script>  <script src="js/atom.js"></script>  <script src="js/natom.js"></script>  <script src="js/boot.js"></script>  <script src="js/preloader.js"></script>  <script src="js/sector.js"></script>  <script src="js/game.js"></script>  <script src="js/app.js"></script>  <!-- /build --></body></html>

I hate to be such a pain in the ass:

While the error was solved, the code seems to be focused to work on landscape rather than portrait mode.

What modifications should I apply to solve this? If you could briefly explain to me the logic behind the system that would be great!

Which variable(s) control whether the game is in landscape or in portrait?

Thanks for the help, it is REALLY appreciated :D