Loading a "complex" Blender Scene

Moon

Was going to say that it works on FireFox but not on Chrome, I retried an other time and now it works on both. :)

So what was the issue ?

I noted that you reduced the number of different buildings and textures...

I noted that you reduced the number of different buildings and textures

Yes, the materials and textures need some clean up. You need to check the assignments to parts of your buildings - I found materials assigned to no vertices, material slots with no names etc. And for the textures look for "Image Mapping" and make sure it is set to UV and the map is named. Was not going to go through all the buildings - so I picked the ones with interesting shapes ;-)

Now as for what I did in rough order:

1. Made sure the materials/textures were assigned properly as above and deleted the rest of the buildings

2. Deleted the "Sun" from the building layer ( if you do not you will end up with a lot of lights in your scene counted - 12+ one time)

3. In Layer1 I chose the "Plane" and went into the Modifiers Panel (the wrench) and it indicated you have a particle system that is being used to generate the cityscape.  A clever idea :)   but until you hit the "Convert" button the actual meshes have not been created.

4. Added a Hemi to Layer1 for lights. I left the camera but added an ArcRotate Camera as the Active Camera in my loading script.

And it works fine.

The issues seem likely to be your Material/Texture assignments (minor) and the Babylon Exporter only handles lights, cameras, materials, rigs/animations and meshes. It does not understand Blender Particle Systems - so make sure everything is converted to a mesh.

cheers, gryff :)

Thank you so much, especially, I didn't know about the converting part for the particles system, I will check it out. Whith the cycles version of the scene, it was showing the map but not the buildings, maybe that's also the reason.

Well let me know how it goes - and maybe you can post a link so we can all view the final result.

You might want to play with the UV map of the two "round" towers as the texture scaling seems to be a little excessive.

what I should mention or talk about, I am all listenning

Well you have been working with the Babylon.js framework(BJS) and Blender creating buildings in a clever way, but what else can be done with these two tools? Some answers can be found on this thread, but also (quote taken from here):

With Babylon.JS, developers can quickly add collision detection, physics, lighting, camera angles, textures, effects, and new 3D scenes with minimal coding.

Can you add collision detection in Blender? How?

Can you add animation ? See the examples here (even one by me that was built with Blender.)

Can you add interaction with the scene? Try this thread The Desk built with Blender, with a little simple javascript to connect with BJS features and drive the interactions

The list of features  for BJS grows all the time. For example, since I joined this forum in back in February, DeltaKosh and his team have added a "range" parameter to the different lights which is adjustable in Blender - and new features both to the BJS framework and to the exporter are being developed all the time -  BJS is dynamic.

Although you titled this thread "Loading a "complex" Blender scene", really you are only just scratching the surface (as I am) of what is capable of being done with BJS and Blender.  And of course, it is all free.

A question for you though, after your thesis is done, will you be back? Will you use BJS and Blender again?

The thesis is titled: Creating an online game with HTML5

And it was going to be a 2D Online MultiPlayer Game in HTML5, but I switched and preffered to test 3D with BabylonJS.

Actually, this is far from being a game ^^, it's rather a base for a game.

As I'm using BabylonJS as a framework, it bacame the main topic of the thesis, but I didn't just want to talk about BabylonJS features, and I will not be talking about all its features as I didn't implement them in the experiment. I also wanted to talk about the underlying concepts of BBJS and WebGL, so I'm taking a tour on shaders and GLSL...

The Blender scene is just around 1Mo but the one in Cycles was around 19Mo, so that's why I titled this "complex" scene. ^^

Yes coming back for sure, I will dig deeper in this and experiment with the amazing features it offers, especially, the ActionManager seems very promizing.

And by the way, the Desk is really amazing. :)

Hi,

I'm trying to import this walking dead into my scene but it seems like it has some issues...

This is an animated model imported from collada (.dae) into Blender, then re-exported to .babylon.

I attached two zip files here, one with the .blend and .babylon files, and the other one containing the original collada file.

I tried to render it without animating it but it doesn't render and it still throws errors.

So again, if you can give me your insight, I would be very grateful. :)

Thank you.

ZombieLowRes_diffuse.zip

walking_1.zip

This is an animated model imported from collada (.dae) into Blender, then re-exported to .babylon.

So again, if you can give me your insight, I would be very grateful.

Well you might want to take a look at this thread where reddozen, myself and others have been discussing blender, rigs and .dae files There are issues which reddozen has reported to Blender.

Several Questions

Go to page 2 and DeltaKosh's comment :

You must reduce the number of bones per mesh to max 40

Your model has 90 bones  - 40 bones in the two hands. A lot of the bones do not really get used in the animation apart from setting the initial positions of the hands/fingers and face. The animation is not the problem

Here is an animated figure of mine Blue Lady - 32 bones.

Best bet you have - unparent the mesh, rig it yourself with fewer bones then create the animation - yeah work I know ;-)

What about splitting the mesh (into 3 parts) as he suggested ?

Something I have not tried. If you do try it - remember you have 40 bones in the hands and 28 in the head and neck. So that gives you a suggestions for your mesh breakdown