Monkey Munchies

owen

Hello everyone. I am a first time poster but I have been playing with game development for a long while.

Now here is something I wrote to see how far I could push standalone HTML5 and CSS3 for gaming purposes without any games engine to help me. I wrote this game using pure HTML5/CSS3 with Javascript/JQuery.  There is no games engine behind it.  The animation is all CSS3 transitions and transforms.  The sprites and backgrounds are all home-made bitmaps created using MS Paint (!) and my imagination.  I used credited resources for the font and the sounds.  I wrote it for desktop browsers as it requires cursor keys to control it, however there is some rather limited touch support too.  It really doesn't work very well on touch screens, it needs a keyboard.

The mazes are randomized using a simple algorithm.  The enemies use some reasonably good AI to track you down, however they don't always get it right.  The levels get increasingly more difficult with more enemies each time, and faster ones too. If like me you are an older gamer you may notice some nods to some older games in there. 

It works best in Chrome although I have tried in a few other browsers. 

Direct link to game:

http://www.owensouthwood.com/Blog.aspx?blogid=games&articleid=monkey-munchies

Logo:

preview.gif

Screen shot:  A full screen shot of first level is attached to this post.

I would welcome any comments.  Thanks.

Owen.

post-9550-0-31550200-1404823697.gif