Physics update framerate is fixed or variable?

Vaclav

Hello,

Is the framerate of the physics the same as rendering framerate? I came to this conclusion, because in the GameState class the update callback slows down with rendering, and I can't find a callback for physics update.

I really need a fixed framerate callback and fixed framerate physics here is why:

> I apply a force to a body, the effect of the force does depend on time until next frame (dt), so this time should be fixed, not variable, otherwise I can't calculate the effect of the force (velocity change, dv = F/m * dt )

> I cannot change the velocity instead of applying a force: because I'm using constraints and changing the velocity directly makes the constraints go crazy ( really :( )

Any idea what can I do?

Ps: I'm using P2 physics.

Edit: the body.thrust(speed) function does something like I want, but the input is a number, I need a similar function with a 2d vector input.

Yes I'm using body.applyForce my problem with it is the following:

The applied force is integrated for dt (delta t) time to cause a change in velocity (dv):

dv = F/m * dt

(F: force, m: mass)

But to calculate dv, I need to know dt (the physics update timestep) in advance.

So how does body.thrust do what you want? It's the same as applyForce under the hood...

The docs say for thrust:

"Applies a force to the Body that causes it to 'thrust' forwards, based on its current angle and the given speed. The speed is represented in pixels per second. So a value of 100 would move 100 pixels in 1 second (1000ms)."

This means, after 1 second the sprite's speed would be 100pixels/sec.

This is not exactly what I want, but similar to it:

What I want is to have (initial) v0 + dv speed at the next physics update. As I wrote earlier, I can't set the velocity of the sprite directly because of the constraints. All I need is to know the time until next physics frame.