Action Manager and OnIntersectionEnterTrigger

gryff

After a lot of procrastination, I have started playing around with the Action Manager and quite enjoying it (after Temechon pointed out the necessary BJS to use).

I have been testing it with mesh picking and intersecting. With mesh picking I can use ExecuteCodeAction to call a function , and in that function use this line of code to get the mesh name

var aMeshName = myScene.meshUnderPointer.name;

Question I have is how can I get the name of the mesh I have just intersected with?

cheers, gryff :)

And another little question. I want to disable (not change its on/off state) a light through the Action Manager. I've tried these lines of code:

mesh.actionManager.registerAction(new BABYLON.SetValueAction({ trigger: BABYLON.ActionManager.OnIntersectionEnterTrigger, parameter: camSensor }, light, "setEnabled", false));andmesh.actionManager.registerAction(new BABYLON.SwitchBooleanAction({ trigger: BABYLON.ActionManager.OnIntersectionEnterTrigger, parameter: camSensor }, light, "setEnabled", false));and mesh.actionManager.registerAction(new BABYLON.SwitchBooleanAction({ trigger: BABYLON.ActionManager.OnIntersectionEnterTrigger, parameter: camSensor }, light, "isEnabled", false));

none of them  work.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated

Hey gryff, 

Question I have is how can I get the name of the mesh I have just intersected with?

Yes you can. In your callback function of ExecuteCodeAction : 

function(evt) {   // myarray is an array containing all meshes colliding with your mesh   var myarray = evt.source._intersectionsInProgress;}

Next question : 

I want to disable (not change its on/off state) a light through the Action Manager

I don't know how you can disable a light in a scene but I will guess you can use the function setEnabled. If so, you can use : 

mesh.actionManager.registerAction(new BABYLON.SetValueAction({ trigger: BABYLON.ActionManager.OnIntersectionEnterTrigger, parameter: camSensor }, light, "_isEnabled", false));

or : 

mesh.actionManager.registerAction(new BABYLON.SwitchBooleanAction({ trigger: BABYLON.ActionManager.OnIntersectionEnterTrigger, parameter: camSensor }, light, "_isEnabled"));

(Code not tested).

Cheers !

isEnabled() return boolean but does not modify and setEnabled(boolare functions and it is asking "property" in switchBooleanAction or SetValueAction for example.

It would be interesting to have a property for the lights with a boolean for the show or hide.

light.show = true || false; //for example would be good

Otherwise: (ExecuteCodeAction)

mesh.actionManager.registerAction(new BABYLON.ExecuteCodeAction({ trigger: BABYLON.ActionManager.OnIntersectionEnterTrigger, parameter: camSensor },     function() {          if(light.isEnabled() == false) {               light.setEnabled(true);          } else {               light.setEnabled(false);          }    }}));

isEnabled() return boolean but does not modify and setEnabled(boolare functions and it is asking "property" in switchBooleanAction or SetValueAction for example.

It would be interesting to have a property for the lights with a boolean for the show or hide.

@dad72: I was thinking that way too. And I was figuring that I would have to use some "ExecuteCodeAction" in some way.

But then I tried Temechon's suggested code - and it worked.  :)  You can try it here:

Actions and Lights in Zones

The pink cube is a "pick" action that toggles its material. Move the little blue cube (attached to the free camera) towards a corner watch lights go on and off. 

(Edit: Updated the scene so now there are 9 lights - a Hemi and two Pointlights per colour zone .)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Temechon: I have absolutely no idea why your code works. The difference between code I tried and your code seems to be the little underscore.

My code: "isEnabled" -  throws errors.

Your code "_isEnabled" - works like a charm.

A little question - why? (Or is that part of the "Black Arts" that is involved in writing javascript? :o )

dad72 and Temechon - TY both for thoughts and ideas. And thanks to you Temechon for that second tutorial of yours that got me investigating the Action Manager :)

It's totally black magic ! :)

Actually, the underscore means private members in javascript. But in Javascript, private does not exist, everything is public, and the underscore is more than a naming convention.

You can see in the method setEnabled in class Node that the attribute set to false is...this._isEnabled, With the underscore :) 

Cheers, 

Normally isEnabled() or _isEnabled is done to check whether true or false. It is of course possible the put a false or true, but not the interest of this function.

setEnabled() is to write and the variable isEnabled() a true or false.

Even if this works, this is not the good ways of the used.