Dynamically changing an sprite's key

swissnetizen

I've got a game I'm working on which is like somewhat like snake. The sprite makes a tail behind it composed of several hundred points; I've decided that the best way to do this is to have one sprite where I change it's key dynamically.

this.drawNewTailPoint = function (x, y) {    var ctx = this.tail.key.ctx;    ctx.beginPath();    ctx.arc(x, y, game.global.tailRadius, 0, 2 * Math.PI, false);    ctx.fillStyle = this.color;    ctx.fill();  };

It executes multiple times (Several hundred times) however there is always only one point displayed.

That point is always the first pointed drawn.

I've also tried drawing a rectangle to see if the arc was the problem; problem persists.

Edited by Samarthwiz

I don't really get what you're trying to do in your code. You're modifying the context of a texture reference, which seems highly odd - exactly what type of texture is 'tail' using? If it's a normal image then you'd change it using Sprite.loadTexture. If it's a BitmapData then you should keep a reference to that somewhere else and modify it from that, not via .key.

You should never change the key directly, it won't do anything and it isn't meant to do anything. If you want to change the texture a sprite is using then use Sprite.loadTexture. On it's own, nothing else required.

If that doesn't work you're not actually explaining the problem clearly enough I'm afraid.

This is the full code for the player. There may be something which I missed which is causing the problem.

game.Player = function (game, x, y, image, frame, add) {  game.Actor.apply(this, arguments);  this.points = [];  this.speed = 5;  //Invincibility(Can't die)  this.invincible = true;    setTimeout(function () {    this.invincible = false;  }.bind(this), 500);  //"Tail"  this.rect = game.make.bitmapData(1000, 1000);  this.tail = game.add.sprite(0, 0, this.rect);  //For adding points to tail  this.drawNewTailPoint = function (x, y) {    var ctx = this.rect.ctx;    ctx.beginPath();    ctx.arc(x, y, game.global.tailRadius, 0, 2 * Math.PI, false);    ctx.fillStyle = this.color;    ctx.fill();    this.tail.loadTexture(this.rect, 0);  };  //Updates at 1 cycle/frame  this.update = function () {    var speed = this.speed | 5;    this.points.forEach(function (c) {      if (Phaser.Rectangle.contains(this.body, c.x, c.y) && !this.invincible) {        this.kill();      }    }.bind(this));    this.points.push({x: this.x, y: this.y});    this.drawNewTailPoint(this.x, this.y);  }};game.Player.prototype = game.Actor.prototype;