Using Babylon.js in mobile app and desktop app for non-game application

dsman

We aren't building game. We are building CAD 3D application for visualization. Which needs to work on web , mobile as well as desktop. All products will have different set of features though. Ie. mobile and web one will be limited ones. And desktop one will be more powerful one. 

Will this work fine as business class product ?

1. Embedding babylon.js app within mobile app using cordova/cocoajs . 

2. Embedding babylon.js app within WPF or windows form app to target desktop platform ?

3. Will we be able to do Integration like being able to open DXF file and being able to integrate third party ray-tracer etc without any limitations ?  

4. How does babylon.js compares with XNA ? What is that XNA can do and babylon can't ? 

Currently we have desktop based version already working which is built using XNA+ WPF. 

1 and 2: Hello, I think Cordova could be great even on the desktop (at least win8 modern apps). For win7, WPF with a webView could make it (but you have to check if webgl is supported in this case)

3: The project is openSource, so there is no limitation that you cannot overcome by adding code :)

4. Same philosophy (simplicity) but we can do more things now with Babylon.js and we can target more platforms. Integration is a bit different though because we rely on exporters from blender or 3dsmax instead of using importers like XNA

Thanks @deltakosh  You were so quick to answer. This is awesome. 

One more question in this scenario . 

1. What will be the performance implication of running babylon.js inside desktop app using cordova ?   Will it be same as XNA given the same hardware resources are used and given the same level of complexity of scene (geometry, lights etc) ?

I confirm for node-webkit, it's awesome for babylon to build desktop applications. I do this for several projects (non-game applications). Just remember to not use TGA images, as they cannot be interpreted in NW.

I didn't test cordova, but I'm a little bit afraid of performances... You can try cocoon too, it should be better with their "canvas+" system.

I confirm for node-webkit, it's awesome for babylon to build desktop applications. I do this for several projects (non-game applications). Just remember to not use TGA images, as they cannot be interpreted in NW.

I didn't test cordova, but I'm a little bit afraid of performances... You can try cocoon too, it should be better with their "canvas+" system.

What's node-webkit? :P (I'm kidding.)

Interesting note about TGA images, I was not aware of that. Will keep in-mind.

I have admittedly not tested cordova with BabylonJS, but I do know that the performance on a normal single-page app is comparable to that same application in a web browser.