How to change pixels in texture one at a time

crowbar

I'd like to have a running character leave footprints in the ground, but I want it to be efficient as possible and I'd assume that making a keeping track of a new image for each footprint would be inefficient.

My idea is to have a big transparent texture that covers the whole level and just modify certain pixels of that texture.  How can I do this in Pixi?  Or, is there a better way to solve my footprint problem that I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

Jordan

Edit:

It looks like it might be possible with this: http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/667-question-pixel-array-render/

So I guess my question now is: In terms of efficiency and I approaching this problem the right way, or am I going in the wrong direction?

Edited by crowbar

We can renderer ~100k moving and rotating sprites in webgl with no perf degradation as long as you batch properly. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Doesn't batching only work if its the same sprite tho?  What if I want to use sprites of different shapes or colors?

I guess http://www.goodboydigital.com/pixijs/bunnymark/ kind of answers my questions.  My real purpose is to make a particle engine with persistence.  I had no idea 100k sprites was possible.

Here is another scenario.  I want my character to eject shells when he shoots his gun and I want the shells to stick around until the level ends.  Based on your answer I should be able to have thousands and thousands without there being any problem?

I notice that the bunnymark uses a "Particle Container" but I can't find any documentation on it.  I can't even find it in the files used for the bunny mark.  What is it?

Batching works if it is the same *base texture* meaning the same base image. I can have all the sprites in my game in a single image spritesheet, and they will all be batched. The ParticleContainer is a new v3 container that enforces a single layer of children, and uploads specific properites of those children to the GPU where all the transforms occur. It is a super fast way of rendering sprites that share a common texture, and only need basic transform updates.

http://pixijs.github.io/docs/PIXI.ParticleContainer.html