Alien Disposal Crew

Finnegan2100

Hey everyone!

Just submitted my jS13K entry last night. It uses 100% canvas art and no audio. All this was to keep it under the 13K (zipped) limit for the competition. Should run fine on all browsers. Uses 2 canvases side-by-side, so make sure your window is open 100%. There are ten levels total. Not for mobile devices, unfortunately.

Story:

"There are 10 bloodthirsty aliens on the loose in your ship and you're the only one who can save the day. Use lasers to destroy the aliens, then throw them in the garbage disposal unit and clean up the mess."

Hope you enjoy! 

http://js13kgames.com/entries/alien-disposal-crew

Thanks for checking it out!

Ben

*** On levels 6 + 9 there is a blinking "blackout". This is not a glitch. 

post-595-0-08673800-1379092314.png

Hey Ben, awesome game. However I did get a pretty big error - whenever my character died and I pressed space to restart, the alien would stand still, making him impossible to move and therefore making it impossible to progress.

I am very impressed that you did this with just canvas drawing. 

Well, sadly here's what happened. Before submitting I mixed up the versions.(I had three or four in a folder and it was 3;00 am or so) and zipped and submitted the wrong (buggy) version. Two hours before my game appeared on the site while they were still checking submissions, I uploaded the (correct version) of the game to my website and posted it on my Twitter feed to show everyone the game in the meantime. I only became aware of this mixup about 15 minutes ago.

I've written to js13K asking them if I could substitute the correct version and am waiting for a reply. Hopefully they'll let me replace my game. Everything is exactly the same otherwise as you can see in the link below and on my Twitter feed as well as on Newgrounds where I also uploaded it at 4:30am this morning.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the mistake to me. Here's the link that I posted early this morning (the correct version).

http://warmseaorchard.com/alienDisposalCrew2.html

The feedback from this version didn't mention any bugs and it got a couple likes + RT,  so I assumed everything had gone well.

Pretty bummed out about this whole thing, but it was my own fault. We'll see what they say about replacing the files.

Hmm. I actually looked through your code to find the bug. I think it might have been that you didn't reset the velocity on zombies[0] to 3.5? Obviously you fixed it in the newest version, but I just want to know if I was on the right track :D. Very interesting to read someone else's code. Good thing you commented nicely.

Yeah, the issue was in the "zombie and crusher collision" part toward the bottom (line 1750 or so). I'm not sure what version you're looking at, but in the one I sent I had three lines commented out for testing purposes. In the correct version these shouldn't be commented out. That's the only change necessary to make the game work.