lookat clamp on both Axes

amo yeh

Trying to do a lookat clamp on both axes, the attached image shows my problem.

my goal is to set a mesh to look at some object only if both axes are fall within clamp range.

I found similar thread, but only discuss on one axis only. 

Very appreciated if anyone could provide direction or solution on this problem, thanks~

lookatproblem.png

Thanks @max123 for simple solution, I am also trying to solve it mathematically, might try your method later if mine is not working.

I guess the problem can be solved with some clamp and calculation in spherical coordinate space.

After watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ny7psXNdUU , I was able to covert Cartesian to spherical space

here is the conversion I came up so far

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1II8GP

I think it is similar to how ArchRotateCamera moves, will try later for clamping functions, very appreciated for any other suggestions

Hi amo,
look, this is the source to lookAt() ...

public lookAt(targetPoint: Vector3, yawCor: number = 0, pitchCor: number = 0, rollCor: number = 0, space: Space = Space.LOCAL): void {
            /// <summary>Orients a mesh towards a target point. Mesh must be drawn facing user.</summary>
            /// <param name="targetPoint" type="Vector3">The position (must be in same space as current mesh) to look at</param>
            /// <param name="yawCor" type="Number">optional yaw (y-axis) correction in radians</param>
            /// <param name="pitchCor" type="Number">optional pitch (x-axis) correction in radians</param>
            /// <param name="rollCor" type="Number">optional roll (z-axis) correction in radians</param>
            /// <returns>Mesh oriented towards targetMesh</returns>

var dv = AbstractMesh._lookAtVectorCache;
            var pos = space === Space.LOCAL ? this.position : this.getAbsolutePosition();
            targetPoint.subtractToRef(pos, dv);
            var yaw = -Math.atan2(dv.z, dv.x) - Math.PI / 2;
            var len = Math.sqrt(dv.x * dv.x + dv.z * dv.z);
            var pitch = Math.atan2(dv.y, len);
            this.rotationQuaternion = this.rotationQuaternion || new Quaternion();
            Quaternion.RotationYawPitchRollToRef(yaw + yawCor, pitch + pitchCor, rollCor, this.rotationQuaternion);
        }

So, i would make my own lookAt function and add the clamp function just before the QuaternionRotaion.

Hi,
i just ran in a very similar problem. Maybe this can help.

targetFrontality( target ){
	//get the directional vector from viewer to target
	var d = viewer.position.subtract( target.position );
	d.normalize();

//generate a heading vector for the viewer, here the viewer looks along the z axis in positive direction
	var v = new BABYLON.Vector3(0,0,1);

//now calculate the directional vector of the viewer from the rotation of the viewer
	var c = QuaternionMultiplyVector3(viewer._rotationQuaternion, v);
	c.normalize();

// the dot product projects one vector on another
	// 1.0 = heading strait on
	// -1.0 = heading strait away
	return BABYLON.Vector3.Dot(d, c);
}

QuaternionMultiplyVector3 (quat,vec) {
	var num = quat.x * 2;
	var num2 = quat.y * 2;
	var num3 = quat.z * 2;
	var num4 = quat.x * num;
	var num5 = quat.y * num2;
	var num6 = quat.z * num3;
	var num7 = quat.x * num2;
	var num8 = quat.x * num3;
	var num9 = quat.y * num3;
	var num10 = quat.w * num;
	var num11 = quat.w * num2;
	var num12 = quat.w * num3;
	var result = new BABYLON.Vector3(0,0,0);
	result.x = (1 - (num5 + num6)) * vec.x + (num7 - num12) * vec.y + (num8 + num11) * vec.z;
	result.y = (num7 + num12) * vec.x + (1 - (num4 + num6)) * vec.y + (num9 - num10) * vec.z;
	result.z = (num8 - num11) * vec.x + (num9 + num10) * vec.y + (1 - (num4 + num5)) * vec.z;
	return result;
}

if you restrict d and c on axis you can calculate the compontents

After some testing I was able to come up the solution from lookat function from the babylon source as @Klaas suggested, really appreciated for the help. :)

here is a demo 

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1II8GP#1

I still don't know what 's the default direction the object is facing without making any rotations.

The demo above I used an empty mesh coneHolder to look at the moving box, The calculated yaw value is between 90 ~ -270 , which I thought was odd (I thought it would be -180 ~ 180 or 0 ~ 360) ,  and pitch value seems to be fine ( -90 ~ 90)

any information or corrections on these ? Thanks for the help  ~

Hi!

Well that looks as if its working nicley. The somewhat wierd degree value of yaw come from this line ..

var yaw = -Math.atan2(dv.z, dv.x) - Math.PI / 2;

at the end (-Math.PI / 2) the yaw value is turnt by 90 degree clockwise. At this point you have to insert the yaw offset of the viewer. Wich is the default direction of the facing.