New subforum

Odk

Hi,

TL;DR: I'm proposing new sub-forum, "Servers and back-end programming".

I create small games (more proof of concept than games at the moment) at the evenings and often check this forum for inspiration and ideas. Before releasing any game I've decided to create universal back-end service for them. Some will say "why?" and "don't do this, it's hard", but I think I can manage (more on that later). It's already in nice shape. From time to time I see posts with questions about game back-ends and hosting. IMHO we should separate those into new sub-forum, so people will know where to ask them. It will be also simpler for guys like me to find them and help each other. Why I think that I'll manage to create nice and robust back-end and also help with same on forum? I'm sysadmin with 12 years of experience. Now I'm senior SRE at big financial institution with lots of clients and trades. Before this I worked as lead sysadmin/devops for mobile game company. I've maintained and helped develop back-ends serving quite big traffic (over 200M/req day). Now I try to use all that knowledge to create my own back-end but would be great to help also others. In current state I (and possibly other like me) often miss posts with such questions as I usually check forum every 2-3 days. I think that separate sub-forum would help. It should cover all topics related to: hosting, backend services, backend development. What do you think?

I agree there's not really an obvious fit with the existing sub-forums ("coding and game design" perhaps?) and seeing posts in non-related areas can feel odd, or worse may discourage posting?  However I'm unsure if a community of HTML5 game devs (predominantly client-side expertise) may currently have the width of knowledge to provide comprehensive or diverse answers to server-side questions (in comparison to alternative dedicated communities)?  Or perhaps the answers don't need much width to be of value - in which case perhaps a sticky faq may work well?  Whichever forum route is wisest, I am sure server-side design is a critical aspect of browser gaming's future.