get first contact point on collision with physics

Hans

Hi @all again,

is it possible to get the first point of contact if two objects with physics collide?:)

Of course i can get the positions of each object by itself, but not the point where their bodies contact at the first time, or?
If yes, how?

Hm, i tried this code:

meshA.physicsImpostor.registerOnPhysicsCollide(meshB.physicsImpostor, function (main, collided) {
// do something ...
});

The Problem: I have to know which meshes will collide in the future. In my case are potential unlimited meshes. Is there a way to track one mesh collide with something else?

Hi Hans!  I was just talking, recently, about the inconsistency of registered physics onCollide... with @enwolveren ... over in the Wingnut Chronicles.  You must have heard me talking.  :D  Too bad it is inconsistent.  I suspect that the inconsistency is related to the physics "timestep" which Fenomas recently taught us some things -about.  I don't have the exact syntax handy... for how to set a physics world's timestep, sorry.

AND, timestep will affect all the physics motions, so, I don't think that is the answer to our inconsistent physics collide-monitoring.

I'm still looking for ANY demo... that changes the color of a mesh... EVERY TIME it collides, high or low velocity... with another physics-active mesh.

Perhaps "workers" are involved, too.  I'm quite sure that "workers" are involved in our non-physics intersection/collision, but I'm not sure about physics intersects.  I doubt they are used, there.

As for getting the exact FACE or POINT of first-contact... phew... I dunno.  Thinkin'.  hmm.

4 hours ago, Wingnut said:

I'm still looking for ANY demo... that changes the color of a mesh... EVERY TIME it collides, high or low velocity... with another physics-active mesh.

This is possible  with:

mesh.physicsImpostor.onCollideEvent = function (self, other) {...} 

I think this works normal or?  I dont realized inconsistents with this way by now

Problem: I want also the contact point. Above i can just get the positions of both collide elements, but not the point between where there bodies are in contact.

I don't know the physics stuff in BJ. My first idea was to make my own solution to get the contact point: If the collide event is triggerd, I can maybe calculate the contact point for simple mash objects. I think I can ascertain all necessary values from the objects.

Dont sure if this work. Will try it this days.

based on recent helpful @Wingnut chronicle... possible Playground to test solution. Two things: the "everything is a particle solution", notion around Oimo physics landscapes. And the awesome  Raanan's cloth demo (wingy wireframe).  Perhaps combined...? I'm too new to confirm context-crossover(cloth to particle to what you need). Wingnut mentioned a  particleImpostor(if I'm not mistaken, checking...yep). Causes wonder, hypothetically, if each node of the cloth had it's own impostor. It does.  

-> Would first contact-point vectors of orb to the cloth give us a callback first?  Probably not, but closer perhaps.

Disclaimer: 80% off rocker 90% of the time. Yet, this would be a fun direction to test? A simple-analog to contact-points at a low level. And bonus if Raanan has, perhaps, a stub hiding in there already. maybe commented out....at bottom? Not sure. : )

Update: "Yes, cloth demo is a bunch-o-joints ( distanceJoints hung-from stead-points :) )... and the cloth uses "particleImpostors".  I never knew particleImpostors (point impostors?) existed... until  Raanan used them. " ~ Mr. Wingnut  thx for that.

Me: It would be nice to know of particleImpostors scalability. Example: between 1 and a world-o-particles where might browser barf? : )

Okay, I guess someone needs to make a playground.

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1IB3JT#2

Oimo ball-bouncer, and in lines 46-61, I think I've got all three "known" ways to wedge-into the physics collider... applied on both mesh.

I can't get ANYTHING to trigger myCollide.  Six, count-em' SIX wedge-ins, and no trigger-on-collide.  heh.

Surely I am missing something in this PG.  Anyone have better eyes than me, today?  Can you find my stupidity?  I appreciate the help.

Objective: see if we can get collide event consistency, no matter the body velocities (including simple floor-rolling), and no matter the negative gravity levels (except zero).  Then after that, we'll dive-into the working onCollide, and see what we can harvest from the physics engine... as far as impact points.

@enwolveren - interesting idea - putting a particleImpostor at each sphere vert, (and perhaps at each face-center)... instead-of using a single master impostor.  hmm.  Worth pondering, that's for sure.  :)

Update:  [link] Lines 52/53 method now work. (registerOnPhysicsCollide).  Not sure about consistency, yet.  Those lines are remarked-out, now.  I'm working on getting other two methods operational, now.

(52/53 - I had sphere line... checking for collision with sphere (with itself), and ground with ground.  hehe.  I should read docs, eh?)

(broken links recently repaired)  :)

On 4/22/2017 at 8:03 AM, Hans said:

The Problem: I have to know which meshes will collide in the future. In my case are potential unlimited meshes. Is there a way to track one mesh collide with something else?

Hans, we will research this, too.  Essentially, you want scene.onPhysicsCollide = function(bjs_event) {...} ...that triggers when ANY physics-active mesh (PAM)... collides with ANY OTHER PAM... and the event object (which automatically arrives as arg[0] to the event handler) ...carries refs to the two mesh that collided.  You can "harvest/glean" info about which two mesh/pams collided... from that event object.

Does that sound correct?  Would that work for your issue? 

Let's all think about that.  Perhaps yet another BJS observable.  :)

22 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Does that sound correct?

That does!
There is stil a problem. A picture paints a thousand words. I made a picture for the problem. It shows two meshes "on collide event".

I want the contact point (position of the red sphere) on collide event. :)  (But we just get the green ball positions)

collide.png

PS: @Wingnut here is the your demo for the seconde way (line 55 and 56):

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1IB3JT#8

Ahhh, onCollideEvent... very good. (thx)  2 of 3 ways work, now.  Well done.

Yeah, I realize that you wish to "attain" the point-of-impact.  I did some examining of Oimo internals.  I toured all the methods and properties on the OIMO object, and examined sphere.physicsImpostor._physicsBody rather closely.  Nothing obvious.  Scary stuff.  I'm really not qualified to dig that deep.

console.log(OIMO);

Click on object in console... to open browser object inspector... if you wish.  It's ugly.  :D  I'll keep thinking, but, what you ask... phew. 

Hopefully, smarter people than I... will comment soon.  Sorry I have no good news.