Daily HTML5 Games Tutorial Series

Finnegan2100

Hello everyone! I just wanted to let all of you know that I've started a series of DAILY HTML5 game development tutorials starting with the various functions of the <canvas> element and leading all the way up to advanced physics and the step-by-step creation of simple games. These are not engine-specific tutorials and require only a minimum understanding of HTML/CSS/Javascript to dive in. The only other requisite is a text editor.

I hope anyone who's interested will take the time to check them out! 

Here's the link.

http://warmseaorchard.com/Lessons.html

Thanks!

Ben 

@benwhi

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everybody! Thanks for all the great feedback on the tutorials!
Just wanted to let you know two things:

1. All 17 tutorials are now in a much more readable format. Originally I wrote these as txt files, but have finally gotten around to HTML-ifying them all, so if you were discouraged from reading a lesson because it was in txt, worry no more!

2. This evening I'll be putting up tutorial #18 which deals with bouncing objects of the borders of the canvas and introduces the technique of scrolling. New tutorials will be added on a weekly basis instead of daily, since I'm pretty busy working on a couple game projects. Might slip in a two-tutorial week here and there, though.

Thanks, and hope you'll enjoy the new tutorials!

Ben

Thanks, Mike! Glad you're enjoying them! Great idea with the single press/hold down keyboard events. 

We'll definitely be looking at one-presses in later lessons when we pick apart the mechanics of different genres of games, but in the meantime

I'll add an extra section to lesson 13 over the next few days that explains how to do just that.

Appreciate the input!  

B.