Please help test my game Arcade Builder

Jammy

Hi guys,

I have more info about the game coming soon but would like to start getting help from more people in terms of testing. I'm looking for any flaws here, errors, game play issues, bugs. Some I am aware of from prior testing and still have yet to figure out and resolve although the game should allow you to play through.

The game is a simplistic simulator which allows you to build your own arcade, the walls, the machines, the floors, everything. If you've played prison architect or Rimworld you'll probably see the resemblance which I drew inspiration from.

The game is planned to work in any browser and any mobile tablet. Sadly a phone version may just be too far away/complex to achieve.

At current the game lets you start the tutorial and then continue to play through on the tutorial level.

You can pan the camera with W A S D or by touching the edges.

[update] Latest Version here: https://jamdonut.com/prod/0.8/ 

All feedback appreciated, thanks guys.

screenshot2.PNG

screenshot1.png

Jammy

On 2017-5-26 at 9:16 PM, NicoA said:

wow nice work!! 

You have done lots of improvements since the last time i saw it!.

A funny bug, i was able to build a machine outside the shop and people can use it!.

Thanks dude, I think I'll have to code it so you can't place on grass as it does seem odd lol!

Awesome work! Had a play, here are some things I found (old tester instinct kicked in!)

• Selecting Language and opening menu: The cursor icon appears in reverse of what I'd expect when hovering over a language to select. I'd expect the hand icon to appear when you can select something, but hovering over a language, or new game etc. it changes to a non interactive icon
  • Opening Menu: I left the game running to type the above, and it's popping up that happines has his an all time low. Nothing game wise should pop up until I've selected an option
  • When hovering over the "Start" button for Challenges, in canvas mode the button does not highlight on mouse over (but does for webgl)
  • I think the tooltip of what you are hovering over should go blank once you stop hovering over something of interest. Otherwise it's showing something you're not hovering over (like builder community).
  • I think you should restrict people from being able to move the camera faaaaar away from an actual viewable area
  • I also thing you should restrict how far in and out a player can zoom the camera
  • When bring up options to build, text for "dismantle object" merges into "Change machine". Maybe allow that text to go over 2 lines?
  • If I open up to select  the change machine, I'm allowed to close it, leaving a floating arrow and help box. I'd disable things you don't want people to be able to do in the tutorial (like select the wrong item, close a menu etc.)
  • The task list is too far apart when showing what the task is, on the far left of the screen, and the complete icon to the far right of the screen. Maybe it doesnt need to be a full screen thing?
  • The light from the neon lamps is waayyyy to bright!
  • If I dismantle the neon lamp, the light remains
  • The above also meant I couldn't select the machines below this deleted light source to set the prices
  • I'd make setting prices arrows change the value relative to what the value already is. If it's below a dollar, make the increments 10cents, but if you're at 25 dollars already, making the increments $1, for example
  • When placing a sofa facing to the right, after placing it I can see some graphic distortion to the far right, almost as if it's beginning ot show the sofa again
  • If I delete a machine someone is playing on, the carry on playing and I still earn money from it
  • After deleting a machine, the little red light source that comes from it remains
  • Some machines increase capacity, like pinball, but others dont?
  • If I have 2 of an identical machine, I'd expect raising the price of one to raise the price of the other
  • If the price of a machine goes above $100, the value doesn't fit in the box anymoreIf I have, say $4000, I cannot afford to unlock wall tools, so it stays dimmed. But if, whilst that menu is still open, my cash goes above $5000, the button does not become available. I have to close and re-open the menu
  • If I demolish a wall, people walk out of it, but the wall still appears visible. (actually, if I start building extra walls around that area, then the graphics update
  • Get "The play() request was interrupted by a new load request" in the console

Hi all, just to provide an update, I have resolved the majority of the issues mentioned so I really appreciate the feedback.

Some of the canvas failback issues have gone into backlog and some of the harder issues are being resolved still but I think a lot of quality of life improvements have been introduced now thanks to @themoonrat feedback.

The updated version is available here: https://jamdonut.com/prod/0.8/

It would be good to hear what people think of the actual gameplay, the different languages (if you know them, since the files are auto-translated) and also how easy the tutorial is to follow; but as always all feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks, Jammy.

Just some thoughts that came up when testing it.

- I think the game sound should pause when the game pauses (e.g. when you switch tab).
- You should be able to see the options for upgradeable menus, before you upgrade, as you have "no idea" what they hold before you upgrade.Of course using them would be locked, but seeing what awaits you is important.
- The functionality of setting up the machines is kinda annoying for me. I mean when you open the semi-transparent menu and select something, it stays active / selected until I press x. It should at least not show up as active, when you hover over the menu. Otherwise you get the feeling: "If I click now, will it setup the machine as it shows up on the map"
- Floors and walls could be on the same upgrade. As now I kinda see no point of having tiling, without being able to expand your arcade space.
- How about an option to keep the game active, when tab is switched or speed up the game, so if you have nothing to change for now, the game can still go on. Or then add small tasks that you can do no matter the money.
- I think the game so far has too little data to make decisions on. So e.g. how much have one machine been used, how happy customers are with it and how effective is the pricing etc. Though I just suspect there it at least a bug as it shows "earnt: 100" in all of them ;).

Though arcade is dead (oh sorry, I'm just trolling there :D), It's a really cool game concept! ;)

On 15/06/2017 at 9:26 AM, Hachi said:

Just some thoughts that came up when testing it.

- I think the game sound should pause when the game pauses (e.g. when you switch tab).
- You should be able to see the options for upgradeable menus, before you upgrade, as you have "no idea" what they hold before you upgrade.Of course using them would be locked, but seeing what awaits you is important.
- The functionality of setting up the machines is kinda annoying for me. I mean when you open the semi-transparent menu and select something, it stays active / selected until I press x. It should at least not show up as active, when you hover over the menu. Otherwise you get the feeling: "If I click now, will it setup the machine as it shows up on the map"
- Floors and walls could be on the same upgrade. As now I kinda see no point of having tiling, without being able to expand your arcade space.
- How about an option to keep the game active, when tab is switched or speed up the game, so if you have nothing to change for now, the game can still go on. Or then add small tasks that you can do no matter the money.
- I think the game so far has too little data to make decisions on. So e.g. how much have one machine been used, how happy customers are with it and how effective is the pricing etc. Though I just suspect there it at least a bug as it shows "earnt: 100" in all of them ;).

Though arcade is dead (oh sorry, I'm just trolling there :D), It's a really cool game concept! ;)

Thanks for the feedback dude :D Yeah I think I agree with all of it to be honest. I'm working through this now and will post an update when done thanks :D

• 5 weeks later...

Heyooo guys.

A load of updates made to the game now after more public testing and such. I still plan on doing a few more changes before going live but once again would love to hear any feedback/issues/suggestions.

• Improved UI
  • Many bugfixes
  • More upgrades
  • Janitors/cleaning
  • More animations from customers (show unhappiness)
  • Read customers thoughts (find out whats wrong)
  • Multiple challenges
  • Optimisation in a few areas

Latest link: https://jamdonut.com/prod/0.8.8c/iframed.html

Couple of screenies:

wxE4uXr.png

AISMI6b.png

atFp7Kr.png

Thanks, Jam