Phaser: how to create scene for pazzle game

Yehuda Katz

Hello,

I am new to Phaser. What is the best way to create scene (menu, top, settings, game itself) for puzzle game? Should I create scene manually (code) or should I use some GUI and export results as JSON file which later I can use in Phaser?

Thanks in advance and I hope my question was not answered hundreds times

It's hard to believe that my question is so complicated... so far I came across with idea to use "Tiled" app but it's designed to create maps.

I do not mind to buy "Phaser Editor" app but it's again seems to be IDE for create maps, manage assets and write code.

So I will be the one who will answer this question. I am skeptical about friendliness of this forum as this was the very basic question and nobody shared a word. For any future developer who will come up with my topic, here are several solutions:

1) First of all many game developers create their own IDE. I strongly do not recommend to do that until you create couple of games without it. Simply because you do not know which actions you need to automate and how to simplify development

2) You can use Phaser Editor, there is good book in store on Phaser's web site. Unfortunately I bought several tutorials instead which was a big mistake... unless you plan to clone game form book by changing graphics.

3) I found Tiled to be able to create stages too... it's not designed for that but you can ignore and do not create tile map layer. However, I learned how to create elements on each later with custom sprite class (True Script is the way to go) but I still have no idea how to get reference to individual object on particular layer. This is needed because you will place similar buttons on one layer called for example UI... I noticed that Tiled has option to set name for each object, so may be this is a way to get individual object from layer and create it.

I wish you all success with your first steps in game development, do not give up!

Hello @Yehuda Katz

As you say, many developers create their own tools to make their games, specially when you have a long line of similar games or big games with similar levels.

Tiled is the more popular choice to create maps (actually we have in plan to support their formats in the scene maker of Phaser Editor), but you have to see if maps are the right choice for your puzzle games.

With Phaser Editor you can create scenes too, it does not use maps, else simple sprites and groups, just like if you make it by hand. There is a tutorial in Zenva academy blog about to create scenes with Phaser Editor,  however it is a bit outdated because in the last version Phaser Editor splitted the scenes into sprite prefabs, group prefabs and states. We are writing a tutorial about it, in the meantime you can read the docs

Thanks for share your thoughts, I was in summer vacations and I just found this post. Next time I recommend to you to post on the Phaser forum. (http://www.html5gamedevs.com/forum/14-phaser/)

(by the way I am the author of Phaser Editor :))

Thanks Arian, I downloaded Phaser Editor and checked sample games. I personally like content manager and the way code is developed. However, I learned how to make project when everything is assembled by grunt tool and JavaScript 6 (with class support). Switching again may delay development again for a week.

From the other hand Arian, if there is a way to use JavaScript 6 within Phaser Editor or at least export stage so I can later use it in my project then I can give another try develop with Phaser Editor (why should I reinvent wheel when there is working IDE). I also use sprite and group prefebs as well as stages, they help me arrange the code. Group prefabs are ideal for creating kind of complex component (part of GUI) with certain functionality, custom sprites allow extend it with methods do something or listen to user input.

Have a good vecation and hope to see your reply, thanks in advance

Hi @Yehuda Katz

That's great you tried Phaser Editor

I learned how to make project when everything is assembled by grunt tool and JavaScript 6 (with class support)...

We do not provide support for grunt but probably it is something you can do externally. JavaScript 6 is not supported, just JavaScript 5 and TypeScript generators are support, but we have in the top of the TODO list JavaScript 6 code generators so keep in touch. Actually we think for development JS6 is lot better and for production it can be compiled with babylonjs or something like that. So keep in touch because JS 6 is coming soon.

Thanks for the feedback! 

10 hours ago, mattstyles said:

Hi @Yehuda Katz I've moved the thread to the Phaser sub-forum, might get more responses in there.

Thanks a lot, that should help.

48 minutes ago, Arian Fornaris said:

Hi @Yehuda Katz

That's great you tried Phaser Editor

We do not provide support for grunt but probably it is something you can do externally. JavaScript 6 is not supported, just JavaScript 5 and TypeScript generators are support, but we have in the top of the TODO list JavaScript 6 code generators so keep in touch. Actually we think for development JS6 is lot better and for production it can be compiled with babylonjs or something like that. So keep in touch because JS 6 is coming soon.

Thanks for the feedback! 

Is there a book/tutorial which I can read anout Phaser Editor? When I wrote that there is one on ofgivial phaser.io web site, I did mot pay attention that it was not book, it was offer to buy Phaser Editor itself for a year. I just need simple step by ste guid, how can I create simple game with single stage, the rest I van lear along development. Thanks

@Yehuda Katz

The best place is the Phaser Editor documentation:

http://phasereditor.boniatillo.com/docs

There is also a tutorial on zenva academy bolg (it is a bit outdated as I explained before but I think it is a good tutorial yet):

https://gamedevacademy.org/make-a-mario-style-platformer-with-the-phaser-editor/

We are writing a tutorial with the last features, it is not ready yet. The other I recommend to you to learn the Phaser Editor features is to create a Phaser Example Project and select the templates provided by Phaser Editor: "Friend of Cuco" and "Grotto Scape".

In addition you can ask here in the forum and let me know with a mention.