Game Engine, using Pixi.js, Typescript, gulp & webpack

idzhurov

Hi guys,

I am relatively new to game development, but I have to say I love it.

I want to start the development of a game of my own and I decided to try creating my own engine, mainly for the purpose of being part of the whole process. I think this will be the most appropriate way to completely understand everything that is going on behind the curtains. I picked Pixi.js as renderer and typescript as programming language. I will use webpack for bundling external modules and frameworks, and gulp for task runner.

I've done a lot of reading on the subject recently, but I could not find a tutorial, that is updated with the latest versions of the above, so I started my own.

With great help of different articles I found here, and all over google, I came up with the below:

https://github.com/idzhurov/pixijs-game-boilerplate

I am thinking of expanding this one up to a standalone game engine using pixi(I know, absurdly ambitious :D. but I will definitely try). At this point I am planning the creation of scene/scale handling, collision detection, asset loaders. Any opinion/advice/guideline will be greatly appreciated.

PS:

Big thanks go to @Ezelia for the above, as it is still relevant, and to @overthink for https://github.com/overthink/pixitest. Helped me a lot for my choice.

That's a noble cause, good luck with it!

I recommend to read ALL threads in this subforum. There were people making their engines spamming every small question in different topic.

About my setup:

1.  my own fork of pixi that is up-to-date with pixi-v5 "next" branch.

2. lerna + scripts for ts modules thanks to @cursedcoder from pixijs slack: it actually uses namespaces concatenation at the same time as import/export. I hate to import small files.

3. Integration between this and servers written on Kotlin. 

I did something similar in the past when I was first learning what it meant to make games on the web. 

https://github.com/grapefruitjs/grapefruit

There are a lot of old patterns there, and some code I'm not proud of. But it was a good start towards a 2D game engine based on Pixi for me. I don't have any tutorials, because I learn better from reading/writing code rather than words but hopefully you find this helpful (remember this was 4-5 years ago before webpack, gulp, etc).

Thank you both, guys!

I will definitely look into these. I already face one of my first problems. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but do you know of a way to share an instance of a class already defined in another class?

To be more specific, I am trying to implement a loader manager that is just another instance of the PIXI.loaders.Loader, with a couple extensions. For example, i want every loaded asset to log its name. I was able to do it in the Game.ts file, but I am wondering how to load the same instance of this manager in another class. Can anyone help with that?

Best regards,

Ivan