Color Blindness in BabylonJs

DylanD

Maybe a colorGrading texture could be enough? I was testing it some time ago, maybe this thread could help you.

I'm  not sure if there are multiple color blindness types (probably yes), it could be a nice thing to get some colorGrading textures for accessibility on the github repo (if this postprocess is relevant).

19 hours ago, JCPalmer said:

perhaps use the B & W post process

Maybe i could use this to make some colour blind settings...

I have no idea what that entails.  I will take a look at this over the weekend.

17 hours ago, V!nc3r said:

Maybe a colorGrading texture could be enough? I was testing it some time ago, maybe this thread could help you.

I'm  not sure if there are multiple color blindness types (probably yes), it could be a nice thing to get some colorGrading textures for accessibility on the github repo (if this postprocess is relevant).

There are a few different(a few of my best friends have multiple different types of colour blindness{as in between the friends not one person have multiple colour blindnesses, i believe per person can only have one}).  This also looks promising actually!

I will have to look into it some more.

18 hours ago, JohnK said:

This page may help with color design choices https://www.hallaminternet.com/accessibility-colour-blind-users/

Thanks! This will be really helpful!

I will keep this thread up to date on what i end up doing.  Hopefully i can contribute :D 

Thanks everyone!!

37 minutes ago, Deltakosh said:

By default yes, but you can also use a multiple scene approach to avoid it

That is good.  I was hoping that post process would impact the GUI colours since, my GUI also uses some colours that might need to change with the different needs of different colour blindness's.

Good to know that I could get around that though.

Thanks!

Yes, what makes the b & w interesting is that there is a degree arg, where 1 is full.

var postProcess = new BABYLON.BlackAndWhitePostProcess("WelcomeToWonderLand", 1.0, camera);

I actually use it in a transition of a scene, right after load, from b & w to color by animating that property, like the Wizard of Oz.  It works well.  Maybe first try just getting things a little dull.  It should be easy.

Being a post process means it would work with ANY scene without modification other than adding that single line.  It is also a really small shader.  You might copy it & change the property to a vector.  That way you could change the degree by color channel.  Might look weird to some, but if say you have a problem with red, just change that channel's degree to 1, and leave green & blue at zero.

7 minutes ago, JCPalmer said:

Yes, what makes the b & w interesting is that there is a degree arg, where 1 is full.

var postProcess = new BABYLON.BlackAndWhitePostProcess("WelcomeToWonderLand", 1.0, camera);

I actually use it in a transition of a scene, right after load, from b & w to color by animating that property, like the Wizard of Oz.  It works well.  Maybe first try just getting things a little dull.  It should be easy.

Being a post process means it would work with ANY scene without modification other than adding that single line.  It is also a really small shader.  You might copy it & change the property to a vector.  That way you could change the degree by color channel.  Might look weird to some, but if say you have a problem with red, just change that channel's degree to 1, and leave green & blue at zero.

Sounds like a nice transition.  This is very interesting.  I will have to try this when I get home!