Dangerous Dan

sdw3

This is my first HTML5 game.

It's a relatively basic game -- being my first foray into HTML5 gaming -- but i think it's pretty nice. :)

In the game you control the main character, guiding him past enemies while collecting a certain percentage of coins each stage to progress.

I focused on getting the game to work on the devices i had on hand, and so it works on the iPod touch 3rd gen, the ipad 2nd gen, and a generic android-2.3 4.3inch phone. Extrapolating from there i assume it works on most iOS devices, and most android 2.3 devices within the android browser. I read a few of the articles on photon storm and so didn't really focus much on desktop browsers, just making sure the game played on the browser i use most, chrome (Wondering if this was a mistake? Not the reading of the articles :) , but the lack of focus on desktop browsers?).

Would love any kind of feedback to help improve the game, its monetization, help with ad network, the whole shebang.

post-1417-0-73237800-1366879243.jpg

post-1417-0-37895100-1366879247.jpg

The game can be played here

Thanks.  :)

Just tried it, and I find it really strange that you support only a few browsers, especially since the game does not seem to use any browser-specific features. I had to try 4 different browsers to make find one that would work. I think you should really work on supporting these browsers (which shouldn't be that hard).

Anyway I kinda liked the game, but there were some glitches, like coins or other elements disappearing for no reason while they are in the middle of the screen. Coins sometimes can't be picked up, and enemies often don't cause any damage. Also, the instructions were a bit hard for me to read on my Galaxy S3, so I didn't read them. Maybe you should increase the font size. And why do we have to push a button in the bottom right of the screen ? Why not the whole screen ? I think it would be easier (but keep the button so it's easy to understand too).

Though, I think it can be a very good game. The graphics are perfect, and the gameplay very simple (I love when I don't have to turn on my brain to play). You should fix these issues, and maybe make it a bit more dynamic (the character is probably too slow when pushing the button).

Looking forward to see some updates. I'll be glad to try it again ;)

Perfect! Love responses like this. Straight to the point on things i can fix.

The browser specific features are css3 animation events. They seem to fire weirdly on some browsers, and so i skipped over trying to tackle that problem in favor of getting some sort of finished product out. Will look into that now. That's also the reason for the coins and stuff disappearing mid screen.

The whole screen as a buttons is a great idea, and one i should have though of earlier..Thank you. Will try to implement this. It should help with another issue of the button seeming to stay triggered even after the person removes their finger from the screen.

The instructions should be bigger...and will be bigger.

Thank you.

Just played it on my acer netbook on chrome and it ran well. I enjoyed the visuals and since you where aiming for a very simple game I think you succeeded.

I agree with remvst, some fonts are small even in the computer and you could do without that button.

Some ideas: a simple combo system for x coins in a row and maybe some power ups like a magnet, short invincibility and shooting harpoons all by pressing on the player could work and be nice (maybe). You can almost spare yourself the 'level design' with some random generation and periodic speed increases. 

• 2 weeks later...

To Anyone out there with an ipad, ipad2, or ipad3:

I don't have access to my ipad and wanted to check if the changes i made messed with the game centering. I'm getting weird results on my old ipod Touch.

If anyone with an ipad could access the game and tell me if it resizes and centers properly i'd be really grateful.

-Shane