[WIP] Monster Smack from NeoBird (playable!)

NeoBird

post-4951-0-89193100-1396615953.jpg

Hi all,

NeoBird already produced some HTML-5 games exclusively for a major publisher. We also have a more complex HTML-5 game in the works (signed by a another publisher as well).

With Monster Smack we are aiming to sell/license this one on our own. Here is the tagline: 

"With cool grafics, one-tap Arcade-style gameplay and lot´s of „Meow“, Monster Smack is going to keep your audience engaged and your ads deliverd."

I will spare you the rest of the marketing-ballyhoo, the game itself is fairly self-explanatory 

Please play Monster Smack and throw in your feedback!

As you all know: Encouraging the dev team is priceless. 

The game rests on our dev-server: http://staging.neobird.de/demo/monstersmack

State of completion is 80% with iOS and PC already in good shape (please play those), Android is still in the works.

In case you are looking for addtional game-information please go to: 

http://de.slideshare.net/NeoBird_Germany/neobird-monster-smackhtml5

If you would like to know who those NeoBirds are please go here:

http://de.slideshare.net/NeoBird_Germany/neobird-developer-profile-2014

And finally: Those interested in licensing Monster Smack please turn to me directly. Even though it carries "Monster" in   it´s title the pricing is fairly reasonable ;-) 

Best regards from Nuremberg / Germany

Florian

[email protected]

www.neobird.de 

post-4951-0-56616000-1396615724.jpg

Hi Florian,

great to see you folks around here picking up Phaser, too. Would love to chat about it at one of the next Indie Outpost meetings :)

But about your game: I spent some minutes playing on desktop (Chrome on OSX 10.9) and here's my impression:

1. I love the way everything tweens about before and after the game. Gives a good impression of depth of the scenery and makes it all feel quite nice.

2. I like the setup with the garden fence and monsters trying to get on the other side. I'm not very fond of the choice of colors, though. Makes the game look rather dull and uninteresting especially after the game title graphics promised a very different art style. They fail to live up the the lively and dynamic game the title graphics suggest. 

3. Same goes for the graphic objects: The 3D objects don't quite match the 2D comic look of the background and middle ground elements. The dust clouds are the least fitting elements IMHO featuring hard black outlines. I'm guessing that some of these graphics are still dummy, though?

4. The sounds of the laughing monsters are funny at first, but turn quite annoying pretty fast. I'd refrain from playing them every time. Rather use them every once in a while on a tough guy... and consider offering a mute button :)

5. The game is quite hard to play on desktop. I often got into situations early in the game, where I had three monsters (some even with helmets) and a kitten overlapping one another and I just didn't manage to work that heap off in time (not to speak of not killing the kitten). It might help to spawn these objects a little more controlled and slowly increase frequency over time. That's where I'd say the game design needs some more attention and fiddling.

6. With a theme like this I'd go for some more *boom* and *bang* (love the dynamite guys!) and more drastic effects like scaling out the smacked monsters faster so they seem to be flying off further into the distance. The dynamite guy totally deserves a screen shake! and it'd be worth considering to blow all other bad guys off the screen when he explodes. Sure fun to watch :)

7. A little variety to the monsters visual states and animations mit brush things up quite some: Right now, when I smack a monster, all that changes is its eye expression. The mouth stays open, everything looks the same. We're dealing serious damage here, so think about some scratches, black eyes, band aids, lost teeth. Maybe not quite Rocky style but you get the idea :)

8. And of course some *Ugh* *Argh* *Puff* sounds would add some fun to smacking the monsters around.

Hope this helps!

P.S. And, boy, are those clouds moving fast! :)

• 2 weeks later...