Untitled Mini Runner That Ends

c023-dev

While ENYO Arcade is closing in on its release I could not stop myself from making a tiny side project for fun while learning Phaser.io

It's free for all.

Mech_a_big.jpg

runnah_01.jpg

I'm having a great time working with phaser so far. I'm using the TypeScript to compile to JS and it took me some effort to get that up and running but now I've gotten into the right mind state it works like a charm.

This game will be pretty short since I have a few ideas that I want to try in this minimal environment but without wasting time.

Rest is same as always with me, i like solid gameplay with good visuals and audio, so I will do my best to deliver my best.

Here is a first little testrun:

No sound in there yet and the boss can't take his final blow yet. But I hope you guys and gals can give me some feedback on the difficulty and performance.

It runs like crap on my old notebook, but all HTML5 games run like crap there. I can only trust that Richard is doing his best to deliver state of the art HTML5 (Canvas and WebGL) performance. And I'm doing a lot to clean up my mess =D
There is still plenty of room for optimizing and I haven't implemented mobile browser support/controls yet but you can click in the image to launch XXXplosions... hope that makes it up a bit ...hihi

Have fun! And if you have a name suggestion then let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice and is quite challenging. Got to a stage though where the character exploded and then disappeared. It kept exploding but I couldn't see the player character. Happened on the screen with the spinning red circle that I think you have to shoot if that's relevant (I suspect it's not).

How exactly would be a smart way to make it accessible to mobile? (you just want the controls?)

You see, I'm an artist doing this and I have no freakin idea what I'm doing =D

Found out that mentioned bug wasn't frame drop related but dumb on my side... it had something to do with the sequence of additions I was doing, messed that up while 'cleaning' ... *ups* but it works again and you can easily die at that point and respawn again now =)

Sorry for that, and I would really like to know about a comprehensive way to possibly let this run performant/native(?) on mobile devices =/

This 'cocoon cloud thingy is too commercial for my taste, but I may be fast in judgement =/

So I tried this on the PC and I was right...this is a very cool game concept and what you have now works well on the PC.

As for controls, it looks as if there are only two things you have to worry about, shooting and jumping.  You could have it so that if the user taps the left half they jump and the right half of the mobile screen they shoot (to keep the UI minimal) which I find useful in mobile games, or you can go the route of on-screen controls.

For a smart way to support mobile as far as technical things go, it would mainly depend on how your game is structured but what I'm doing for my first game (Yes I'm a complete noob to game development, but not so much web development) is utilizing the template that is in the Phaser GitHub repository.

The link to the templates can be found here: https://github.com/photonstorm/phaser/tree/master/resources/Project%20Templates/Full%20Screen%20Mobile

I bet you can modify it to fit your needs since you're utilizing Phaser.

But to give you a little background on what your game is doing when I do access it on my iPhone.  It is from what I can see freezing up except for the sounds, but its hard to even see what's happening because the screen is incredibly small and does not become fullscreen when I do tap the game frame.  

Anyways...This game/side project has quite a bit of potential in my eyes.  Keep up the good work.

The controls and stuff should go easy, I was just thinking about making it a native app?! Or isn't that desirable? 

Since for the controls I was thinking about a special little treat... I wanted the left side of the screen to make you jump and the other side make you shoot and every time the player direction changes, I switch the controls too =D

That would be pretty wicked as far as controls go.

As far as the native app, tbh i'm so new to game development I only really know of the CacoonJS solution and only really the name and not the process or if its even something to look at, BUT I will say as a casual HTML gamer, I much more prefer not having to install the game just load the assets and play.  Now, there is a slight caveat here in that mobile support has to be done well thinking about making sure the user doesn't acidently scroll the page causing the browser url bar to show up and also taking into account orientation and controls in both landscape left and landscape right points of view.

TL:DR

I don't feel a native app is necessary, imo HTML5 has the strength of being played anywhere...let it use it's strengths...Yes there may be issues and some up front work of making sure everyone has an enjoyable experience and the issues with HTML5 in various browsers, but tbh I never go to the app store to download HTML5 games.  But who knows that may just be me.

I'm only concerned about the performance... maybe its my coding but games just don't run at satisfying speeds on mobile browsers, yet? Or am I wrong? I mean technically there isn't too much going on in this games main loop. But I don't have proper mobile devices to test that, if they get a stable 60 fps or 30 I'd be glad and would not bother for a native version. I've already reduced my tilemap to 1 layer. But I have no idea on the whole status quo of js/browser performance and what to expect, that's what I started this for... to find out all that stuff.

So I'll set up some mobile controls pretty soon and we'll find out.

I think i beat it :)

There was several empty corridors and 3 corridors at the end.

Also I really like the setting and the challenge level.

The music is very TRON-ish which is good but kind-a repetitive but... still its on the good side.

Also maybe a bit louder compared with the jump and shoot sound effects.

So overall good game. Want some background story, more levels and some short cut scenes or just comic style slides and it's going to be superb. :)

Sweet! Nice to hear that! Yeah - I'm still fooling around with the level endings, that's why it's empty.

Yeah I made quite a few soundtracks and will be adding them with more levels and volume controls.

And cutscenes are one of the things I'm working on right now. Story is attached to my main title ENYO Arcade - this is like a side episode. It's sort of: TankGirl's rage against machines.

Thanks for the kind Words, I'm glad you like it!