Game Closure

gin5eng

It looks fantastic, but I struggle to understand why you'd use it over Unity, other than the price I guess.

It's not like the games you make with it will work in the mobile browser* at that performance, or even at all depending on which features you use.

For me personally there has to be a reason for wanting to use JS to make something native, the fact that 'you can' isn't enough of a reason for me. If anything, it's a bit of a turn off.

* happy to be proved wrong if anyone has some demos to show

It's not like the games you make with it will work in the mobile browser at that performance, or even at all depending on which features you use.

For me personally there has to be a reason for wanting to use JS to make something native, the fact that 'you can' isn't enough of a reason for me. If anything, it's a bit of a turn off.

True, GC does not work in browsers :(  At least for now:

heyadayo said:

I get your concern about supporting the web;

I think it's because a lot of people really want us to be a web game engine, but we aren't. We're a mobile game engine.

We simply chose "HTML5" as an API layer because of the excellent tooling around the ecosystem. It just so happens we support the web as a side-product, and that's pretty cool I think, but not really the point of the GC DevKit.

I think this might be faster to make a 2d game than Unity 3d though. I have been making 2d games on Unity and I have to say that none of the plugins have this natural workflow like when you work with cocos2d or other 2d engine/libraries.(Except futile 2d, but that is like ignoring Unity) There are so many workarounds and required you to memorize specific steps or set up.