SpriteBatch vs DisplayObjectContainer

Ezelia

SpriteBatches are always faster but those come with some trade offs.

SpriteBatches only can be 1 layer deep (no children), have no interactions, afaik no filters, the Sprites have to share a base texture, etc.

A DisplayObjectContainer has all pixi features but renders slower.

I don't really see why there is no interactions for SpriteBatches tho.

It can be difficult to know when to use one over the other.

SpriteBatch is *usually* faster, but not always; it depends on your specific use.

I usually start with a DOC and then, if I feel I need to optimize, tinker around with an SB.

Tints will not work with sprite batch, you have only position, rotation, alpha, and scaling. Anything else is not considered, which is where the speed boost comes from. It uses a much faster shader that forces batching and makes assumptions. The trade off being you don't get the fancy stuff.

thank you xever,

I also started looking at the source code and I have now a better idea on when I should use it and when not.

my first question was because I wanted to use it in a particle emitter I'm making for pixi, but it use tinting a lot. so I'll just stay with DisplayObjectContainers for now :)

You should still use SpriteBatches for your emitters, at least when it makes sense.

If the current animation is not tinting the particles, then use the SpriteBatch.

I haven't looked into the WebGL SpriteBatch code yet, but for the CanvasRenderer, it is absolutely possible to use SpriteBatch and tint together. You just have to copy the baseTexture frame to a new canvas, create a texture of it, and use that texture for your particle sprites. Whenever you change the tint, you just take the original baseTexture again, tint it, and overwrite your particle texture.

I'll try that, but not sure if it'll make performance better.

as I already have some performance issues with tinting.

actually, the problem is that when I use tinting, I need a new tint each frame or so ! it's used to fade a particle color from a start color to an end color.

and all particles do not share the same tint at a given time.

even with DisplayObjectContainer, I forced no cache for tinting because it's useless and make things worst.

I maybe need another aproach for the color variation.

• 4 weeks later...