Rhino Rink

sbat

Play Rhino Rink: http://jellimatic.com/pgb/rhinorink-2013-07-23-9cbba9caae75/

Description: Kick the same colored rhinos out of the rink in this action puzzle! Build huge chains of rhinos to earn explosive powerups or bonus time. The game starts simple, but as you unlock more rhino types every move counts! Do you have what it takes to unlock all 6 rhino colors? 

Rhino Rink is my first released HTML5 title (before I mostly worked on Flash games and native apps).

If you can test it on your device, it is much appreciated. ;) Let me know if you spot any issues!

post-3904-0-04675600-1375691272.pngpost-3904-0-02530500-1375691269.png

I love the way you refer to them as dino's though-out the code too ;)

Ah - yeah. You cannot hide path of your game evolution with HTML5. :) Initially it was about snakes eating each other and growing. 

And thanks for your comments, Rich! I'm testing the ground now to see if some publisher is willing to support full-blown free-to-play native port (earning gold, buying helmets for rhinos, and greedy IAPs of course). ;)

Good luck with the publishers thing. It didn't feel like a proper paid app sort of game to me*, but that doesn't mean others won't :)

* to qualify that statement - it was really fun and very cute, but I only played it once and I felt like I had seen everything the game had to offer after that one single play. I wouldn't return to it because no new mechanics appeared to create variety. It's a really lovely game, just not the sort I would ever part with money for. I think it would be pure gold as html5 sponsor fodder though, providing it runs fast on mobile browser.

Good luck with the publishers thing. It didn't feel like a proper paid app sort of game to me*, but that doesn't mean others won't :)

* to qualify that statement - it was really fun and very cute, but I only played it once and I felt like I had seen everything the game had to offer after that one single play. I wouldn't return to it because no new mechanics appeared to create variety. It's a really lovely game, just not the sort I would ever part with money for. I think it would be pure gold as html5 sponsor fodder though, providing it runs fast on mobile browser.

Oh - yeah. Paid $1 app is not an option here, I totally agree.

Even free-to-play app (with ads & inapps) would require 10x efforts of this game. New powerups, several unlockable arena layouts, wearables for rhinos (functional and cosmetical), permanent artefacts that affect game play. Kind of Jet Pack Joy Ride meets Diamond Dash. Kind of "99% enjoy for free, 1% of fans prefer to spend $1 instead of spending 15 hours earning enough gold for all in-game upgrades"

I'm not going this road, unless some publisher would be willing to share the belief (and risks :) ) in this somehow. I'll share with you if it advances anywhere. :)

Although a few expressed interest in free-to-play android port in as-is format, that's might be a valid step. 

The game was awesome, loved playing it :)

You should divide the game into levels, with new rhino's, techniques and items unlocking at each stage. 

Thanks. Yeah, I totally agree! Question is only how to monetize all that stuff! :)

BTW, how are sequels doing in HTML5 industry? In Flash sponsorship that was kind of main bread and butter. :) Can you release substantially advanced sequel and expect more licenses going your way?

I think you could easily net a few thousand no problem from this game via the sponsor route.

Sequels don't increase / decrease in value because of being a sequel imho, they're mostly valued as games in their own right rather than part of anything bigger. There are a few notable exceptions, but mostly I feel this holds true (even in Flash).

I think you could easily net a few thousand no problem from this game via the sponsor route.

Sequels don't increase / decrease in value because of being a sequel imho, they're mostly valued as games in their own right rather than part of anything bigger. There are a few notable exceptions, but mostly I feel this holds true (even in Flash).

Good to know - that's what I meant, just phrased it bit wrong. :) Sequels are usually bit easier to build, as core mechanics is proven/implemented.

Are you suggesting that if sequel is significantly advanced, one can probably license it to the same customers that hold the original game? Do you have any pointers to such successful series? I don't see games with #2, #3 in the names on mobile portals just yet. 

What I was trying to say was that being a sequel is irrelevant re: the value to a sponsor. But what it does provide is an easier route to asking for maybe a bit more money, assuming the first game in the series was a success for them :)

The game you've got right here I think would do really well with sponsors, without needing to change anything.

What I was trying to say was that being a sequel is irrelevant re: the value to a sponsor. But what it does provide is an easier route to asking for maybe a bit more money, assuming the first game in the series was a success for them :)

The game you've got right here I think would do really well with sponsors, without needing to change anything.

Cool - yep, I am seeing quite a lot of interest already, and the game is in fact already released.

I am just thinking about making sequel (with more gameplay modes, new levels, etc). Probably I'll just ask my sponsor partners this question in a few months. :)