[WIP] Unnamed Multiplayer CTF Platformer

dhaber

I started working on this as part of the Inaugural Asset Jam, which ended yesterday.   Everything was done in a one week period.    I used my own javascript game engine, which already had a lot of support for platformer games.  

post-4122-0-28509300-1376958659.gif

The idea behind the jam was for everyone to use Kenney's Platformer Art Deluxe Set, which recently went public domain as part of the Open Bundle.

Physics is done with box2dweb.  All sounds are generated on init from SFMaker, except for the background music which is Strat Kat's "Chippy Cloud Kid," also from the Open Bundle.   Networking is done over WebSockets to a server written with Node.js.   About 70% of the development time during the jam probably went into networking.   The current server works well enough for a small multiplayer game, but it was written with the time constraints of the jam in mind, instead of focusing on creating a proper and efficient protocol.   My next step is to rewrite it to be more proper.    

I plan to continue developing this in my spare time.   The game jam helped give me a chance to add some features and fix some bugs in my tools.   My engine is currently written with single player games in mind, and I'm hoping I can use this project to redesign some key parts to make going multiplayer easier for future projects.  The art set has lots of other items in it that I'd like to add to make some interesting gameplay.  I'm juggling a number of projects right now, but I'm looking forward to making this releasable.   I will post updates on twitter or at my blog.

Here is a blog post discussing everything in further detail:

http://www.leshylabs.com/blog/dev/2013-08-18-Inaugural_Asset_Jam_Results.html

A gallery of screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/YE7oj#0

A gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70g_v3YjABE

If anyone has any questions regarding the game or the tech, feel free to ask.  Can anyone recommend any good resources about designing multiplayer network protocols and servers?     I've done small-scale ones before, but never with the physics integration.    I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how it could work, but I'd like to learn more to make sure I get it right.