Problem with tile collisions

satanas

Hello everyone,

I'm working in a sokoban-like game and in this kind of game you need to reduce the player mobility to single tiles. I implemented this restriction using tween to change the x and y coordinates of the sprite along the time.

When I did this I realized that the player didn't collide with the tiles, so I read the forum and someone said that the arcade physics engine doesn't detect collisions unless the velocity of the player is distinct than 0. I tried moving the sprite through velocity then but for some weird reason I still can not make the arcade engine detects collisions between the tiles and the hero.

What could I be doing wrong? Did I miss something else?

Here you can see the play.js code:

var playState = {  create: function() {    this.map = null;    this.player = null;    this.map = game.add.tilemap(game.global.level.toString());    this.map.addTilesetImage('walls', 'walls');    this.map.addTilesetImage('grounds', 'grounds');    groups.walls = this.map.createLayer('Walls');    this.map.createLayer('Grounds');    this.map.setCollisionBetween(1, 18, true, 'Walls');    var e = this.map.objects['Hero'][0];    var y = e.y - this.map.tileHeight;    var color = e.properties.color;    this.player = new Hero(e.x, y);    groups.walls.debug = true;};

And here is the player's code:
var Hero = function(x, y, color) {  Phaser.Sprite.call(this, game, x, y, 'hero', 0);  game.physics.arcade.enable(this);  this.body.allowGravity = false;  this.cursors = game.input.keyboard.createCursorKeys();  this.animations.add('down-' + capsuleType.RED, [0, 1, 2], 12, true);  this.animations.add('left-' + capsuleType.RED, [3, 4, 5], 12, true);  this.animations.add('right-' + capsuleType.RED, [6, 7, 8], 12, true);  this.animations.add('up-' + capsuleType.RED, [9, 10, 11], 12, true);  this.color = 'red';  this.walking = false;  this.nextX = null;  this.nextY = null;  game.add.existing(this);};Hero.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.Sprite.prototype);Hero.prototype.constructor = Hero;Hero.prototype.update = function() {  game.physics.arcade.collide(this, groups.walls);  this.body.velocity.x = 0;  if (!this.walking) {    var xDir = (this.cursors.left.isDown ? -1 : (this.cursors.right.isDown ? 1: 0));    var yDir = (this.cursors.up.isDown ? -1 : (this.cursors.down.isDown ? 1: 0));    if (yDir !== 0) {      this.move(null, yDir);    } else if (xDir !== 0) {      this.move(xDir, null);    }  }};Hero.prototype.move = function(xDir, yDir) {  var newX, newY, frame, direction;  if (yDir) {    direction = (yDir > 0) ? 'down' : 'up';    frame = (yDir > 0) ? 0 : 9;    newX = this.x;    newY = this.y + Math.floor(tileSize * yDir)  } else if (xDir) {    direction = (xDir > 0) ? 'right' : 'left';    frame = (xDir > 0) ? 6 : 3;    newX = this.x + Math.floor(tileSize * xDir);    newY = this.y;  }};

Thanks in advance for your help

Instead of using physics collisions, you could check whether the tile the player is about to move into is a wall, and not execute the movie if it is. In your Hero.move function, you could take the newX,newY coordinate and use getTiles to check it - if the length of the array returned by getTiles is greater than 0, there's a wall there and the Hero shouldn't be moved. Hope this helps.

Hey Triplanetary,

I've tried what you say, I pass the (newX, newY) coordinate to groups.walls.getTiles() method but it always returns an array with four elements no matter where I move. I've tried with hasTile too but it doesn't work, it doesn't find information for that coordinate and throws a:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'index' of undefined

I'm thinking in create a walkable table when I load the map and compare against it because any method from Phaser seems to work