Animation does not play smoothly the first time

Qzlmnrk

I'm using a large (3072x3840) spritesheet to play a sprite animation.  However, when the animation is played for the first time, there's a noticeable pause where the first ~85% of the animation should be, possibly from the spritesheet being loaded into memory.  What can I do to make the animation run smoothly the first time?

• 5 months later...

I have the same thing happening to me... I have large spritesheet 4096x4096px with sprite size of 301x155px. The first time I load any animation it does not show most of the frames at the beginning (~85% is a good estimate) and it shows last couple of frames at the end. After that all other animations from that spritesheet play smoothly. I am trying to load single sprite at the beginning to force it to load spritesheet in the memory but think that is not the best solution :P

The delay is almost certainly the texture being pushed up to the GPU. To get around it use the texture somewhere else in your game first. Perhaps add a sprite to your main menu that uses this texture. It doesn't matter if the sprite is visible false, it will still achieve the same job of preparing the texture.