Observed inactive meshes take just as much CPU as when active

JCPalmer

@fenomas:

1. I want to keep it as a function because it implies some drawbacks that the user has to understand. So I prefer having a explicit function there

Well, or setStatic(boolean), or even just freeze() / unfreeze(), etc. My aim was to obviate the question Jerome asked. The fact that meshes keep a cached world matrix is an implementation detail, and it's better if the user can intuit what APIs do without knowing how the implementation works, was my thinking.

Oh.. not sure why, but my scenes blew up if I froze stuff without waiting one frame. Once this API is in the playground I'll send you a repro.

3. Billboards need to have a new worldmatrix per frame. Because they are facing the camera

I understand that, just wondering if any other optimization is possible. (Though it now occurs to me that it'll still be a good optimization to freeze billboard meshes if they're far from the camera, and unfreeze them if they get close!)

Here are the results of setting isEnabled(false) when showing the Dock panel & suspending Main panel, for my worse case Menu (Look & Feel / 894 meshes) :

IsEnabled        selection Potential FPS

--------------                 --------------  ---------------------

true             90 ms       11

false             19 ms       41

Meshes merged too  3.5 ms      145     (156 meshes)

Pretty convincing.  After implementing freeze, the Main panel when actually visible, should get some of that improvement in mesh selection time.

I think that the lines of unfreeze are in the wrong order though, since the computeWorldMatrix(true) call does nothing:

public unfreezeWorldMatrix() {    this.computeWorldMatrix(true);    this._isWorldMatrixFrozen = false;}

Think there should be a way to tell if a mesh is frozen.  This would allow code that perhaps animated it, to get the value, unfreeze it, & set it back to what it was.  Like POV ;) .

BTW,  my implementation of freeze in Dialog will be to override the methods, to do the children as well.