Picking a sprite from atlas using Jsonhash

grumpygamer

Hello fellas,

I'm back with yet another simple question that I could not find by searching.

Or better, I found a partial answer but does not work.

I just need to pick one frame frome the atlas (texturepacker).

Here's the file:

{"frames": {"zing-a.png":{	"frame": {"x":2,"y":2,"w":62,"h":121},	"rotated": false,	"trimmed": true,	"spriteSourceSize": {"x":2,"y":2,"w":62,"h":121},	"sourceSize": {"w":66,"h":125},	"pivot": {"x":0.5,"y":0.5}},"zing-b.png":{	"frame": {"x":66,"y":2,"w":88,"h":155},	"rotated": true,	"trimmed": false,	"spriteSourceSize": {"x":0,"y":0,"w":88,"h":155},	"sourceSize": {"w":88,"h":155},	"pivot": {"x":0.5,"y":0.5}}},"meta": {	"app": "http://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker",	"version": "1.0",	"image": "INPO-715.png",	"format": "RGBA8888",	"size": {"w":223,"h":125},	"scale": "1",	"smartupdate": "$TexturePacker:SmartUpdate:9bc8cab18fe3249eb226e9c50f7f903a:31d3cc6b4bdded10596863d197bbf0d9:ddeafc3980f111a89339029a9958cb76$"}}

Here is where I load the atlas:

this.game.load.atlasJSONHash(reference, greatBigImagefile, jsonfile);

and here is where I add them to the game:

this.game.add.sprite(shipPosition, this.game.world.centerY, reference);

I need a specific image inside the atlas (zing-a.png)

Other solutions say to abandon jsonHash and use json, but the texturepacker tutorial tells me to use HASH.

In another topic I found I had to add .framename, but I get an error before I can get to that line.

Thanks!

game.add.sprite(x, y, 'reference', 'zing-b.png')

'reference' is a string that should match exactly the string used when loading the atlas into the cache.

The frame name parameter comes from the 'file' property in the json and must match exactly.

Thanks!

can I change that identifier 'zing-b.png' to something more intuitive such as 'ship-front-view' inside the JSON file?

Edit: tried that, I get the infamous error

"Texture Error: frame does not fit inside the base Texture dimensions [object Object]"

I would never recommend you edit the json file, because if you ever need to re-export your assets all of your changes are lost.

What you should really do is edit the filename of the PNGs in the first place, then re-export the atlas.

In Texture Packer you can turn off the ".png" file extension being used, so the frame name would just be "zing-b".

I've tried a blank document with just this: 

var game = new Phaser.Game(window.innerWidth, window.innerHeight, Phaser.AUTO, '', { preload: preload, create: create, update:update });        function preload() {            game.load.atlasJSONHash('poop', 'assets/images/ships/INPO-715.png', 'assets/images/ships/INPO-715.json');        }        function create() {            game.add.sprite(0, 0, 'poop', 'zing-a.png');        }        function update() {        }     

still getting that error. The json file is the same.

How can I fix it?

Curiously I'm getting this error even without adding the sprite in create

Apparently this is caused by Texturepacker's layout algorithm.

If I set it to Basic instead of MaxRects, it works.

Any clue to what the benefits are for MaxRects?

Actually it works even if MaxRects is on as long as "allow rotation" is turned off.

So it boils down to texturepacker being buggy.