Game Aesthetics vs Marketability?

TimHamilton

Hi everyone, my name is Tim. First post, so here goes...

I'm near completion on my first mobile-targeted game, Graveyard Rush. G-rush is based on the minimal, gameplay oriented arcade games of the late 70s and early 80s. I've put quite a bit of polish into it at this point; it plays good, it runs good, and I think it looks pretty good too (for what it is :P).

At this point, I'm trying to figure out how best to commercialize my game. The consensus seems to be that portals are pickier than they used to be, and that non-exclusive licenses are still in demand, but often command less-than-stellar prices. 

Which brings me to my question: How do the aesthetics of a game affect its salability?

Screen_Two_half.png?dl=1Screen_One_half.png?dl=1Screen_Three_half.png?dl=1

As you can see, my game deviates a bit from the usual mobile style of bright colors and cartoony presentation. Has anyone else had any luck marketing games with a striking lack of cuteness...or am I doomed? :unsure:

Has anyone else had any luck marketing games with a striking lack of cuteness...or am I doomed?

I'm afraid you'll have a hard time selling with those visuals. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but at least in my experience "good" art (what you call bright and cartoony) is the most important selling point. This totally differs from markets like indie PC games for example, where you can get away with retro styles, super minimalistic themes, glitch art etc.

Doesn't work at all for the sponsorship market. 

The graphics feel like they are found in google image. I don't think it is about demand of cartoony style games. I think the graphics and colors are lack of harmony and seems like coder art. But if the gameplay is good enough it won't matter that much. BTW I really don't like when mobile games has on screen buttons, should be full screen since the screen is small. That's just my two cents.

I'm afraid you'll have a hard time selling with those visuals. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but at least in my experience "good" art (what you call bright and cartoony) is the most important selling point. This totally differs from markets like indie PC games for example, where you can get away with retro styles, super minimalistic themes, glitch art etc.

Doesn't work at all for the sponsorship market. 

Not harsh at all; thanks for being honest. I was expecting an answer like this, so it's not exactly ruining my plans. Whether I can sell this game or not, I'll make a go of it as a self-released Android/iOS title, and chalk it up as something in my portfolio I've actually finished.

I've got quite a few other ideas stockpiled, including some that would have more of a colorful 'mobile' aesthetic. I'm not super efficient at graphics though; I'd rather team up with a proper artist.

A real shame if you can't get a deal on the game due to the cartoony obsession of casual gamers. I think it looks fantastic. 

^_^  Thanks. I'm planning to give it a shot...who knows?

The graphics feel like they are found in google image. I don't think it is about demand of cartoony style games. I think the graphics and colors are lack of harmony and seems like coder art...

Actually, with the exception of the pause button (open source), and the wheel (friend took a pic of a wheel from a retro arcade cab), those are all my own graphics...

Oh well, I've never thought of myself as a wiz at Photoshop...though I'll defend that gaudy top bezel to the death... :P

...BTW I really don't like when mobile games has on screen buttons, should be full screen since the screen is small. That's just my two cents.

Interesting you mention that...I thought about the control scheme a lot, and decided to go with a diegetic design. I like that it keeps your fingers out of the gamespace, and integrates you into the 'world'. Kind of makes it seem like a little toy arcade machine. In particular, the wheel rotates freely and has a dynamic shadow and motion blur on fast movement, which really makes it seem like more of a 'physical' control.

As to the small size: on my phone (4.5" screen), I can see everything pretty clearly, though the cars are pretty tiny. After some googling, I found that 4" is generally about as small as smartphones get anymore, and around 5" is more typical.

If I seen those screenshots I would certainly want to try it  :) 

PM me the link when/if its released 

Thanks, will do. Hoping to land it on Android in early June...where's that 'fingers crossed' smiley? :rolleyes:

Mate I don't say you found them :) I just described the feeling. And the phone screens getting bigger and bigger that's true but they will be always small. I understood the control space not just for controlling also part of your gameplay but I think it is still bad for practice. If you can't market your game, you should not think it is the market's fault that they just want cartoon style games etc. You should make more research watch more tutorial and make more practice. As you said it is your first mobile-targated game and it is normal that you won't make fortune from it. Hope you will make someday. Again this is just what I say for myself. I hope it would help you too. :)