Video format question

tucker91

Hello all, 

New to this forum and really am new to HTML 5 in general.  I am a QA engineer and we have a site where we use HTML 5 for video.  Users can upload videos and if the browser supports the video file format it plays back once the upload is complete.  However if it is not supported, then we encode the video in our backend and that encoder generates the video to play on any browser.  

The issue I am having is I cannot for the life of me find a list or information of accepted video file types per browser.  I see general containers that they accept but not actual file types.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no single video format that works in ALL browsers. Your best bet (quite sadly), is an MJPEG stream, which works everywhere except internet explorer, where it can also work but you need an ActiveX component or, god forbid, a Java Applet.

In reality you'll want to have the video in several formats, including Flash, and serve the one that's most appropriate for the browser that requested it.

I think the only foolproof solution that works absolutely everywhere is a sequence of JPEG images. Sad but true. And this still leaves you with a huge problem regarding audio. There's a node.js plugin called paparazzo that extracts the image sequence from a stream without disk access. Neat, but still a horrible way of doing things.