What's the best Api for me

Sherlautten

Hi, my name is Javier and firstly I want to apologise for my english, you 'll find some mistakes :D  :D 

I'm starting a project of a game for HTML5, I know how games works, but I have a some doubts which I can't resolve with the information I've founded.

I would like to ask you what's the API or Framework which suits better for my project, the three main things which I need are the next.

• It's a multiplayer 2d game with a client-server architecture.
  • The game needs physics, it looks a bit as an air-hockey game, with every player controlling his own puck
  • I want that the registered users on the web, also are registered on the game,so I can store the reports of their games... A mix we could say(Sorry for the bad explanation here).

I'm a programmer but I'ts my first time in the world of the video games, so I'm really newbie, I know how to make a game easy games on canvas, but not a project of that dimensions and I'm looking an API who works well with these needs, free if possible.

Thanks a lot for reading this, and for the help! If I haven't explained myself well or you need more information, ask!

Hi Javier,

I will try to answer your questions :)

• It's a multiplayer 2d game with a client-server architecture.

For the 2D part, I think you can use PIXI or Phaser, I know there are plenty other 2D Html5 frameworks but I dont know how they work and what they're capable of. Personally, I would use Pixi, because the API is really easy to learn and building something on top of it is easy too.

For the client-server architecture, you can make a NodeJS server and use the module Socket.io (http://socket.io/), so you can easily use WebSockets to connect the players through the server.

• The game needs physics, it looks a bit as an air-hockey game, with every player controlling his own puck

Phaser has a few different physics systems (in your case, I would consider using Arcade Physics).

Besides, as you said, you know how games work and a lot of what happens in games is faked so you could use Pixi and code only what you need.

• I want that the registered users on the web, also are registered on the game,so I can store the reports of their games... A mix we could say(Sorry for the bad explanation here).

What I understand here is you want the game to save some datas and you want people to have access to these datas on the web. (For exemple : EA's Battlelog, League of Legends reports ...)

With NodeJS, I think you can use Mongoose(a node module to use MongoDB) to achieve this.

Good luck ! :)

• 1 year later...