A Logic Maze - with a map

gryff

There are lots of types of mazes in video games. This seemingly simple maze - is tricky. ;)

A logic maze

It is driven by the BJS action manager - and the code involved is my hack of code and a process that I found in Temechon's "Plane" game. TY Temechon for that tutorial - now if I can just get my head around prototypes  :o

This maze is a BJS version of a little game I created in Unity a while back. The gates are just simply either red or blue boxes - I could have made them all the same colour, but that would make the puzzle more difficult.

Move with the arrow keys/mouse, the "m" key to toggle the map. The map will show you where you start and where you end - and where all the gates are.

It can be done by just using 8 or 10 gates.

And just a thought about the puzzle itself - it always reminds me of trying to drive in a large city with lots of no right/left turns and one way streets. In addition in my own city in the summertime all the detours and roads closed as the city does road/sewer repairs etc :wacko:

If you want to try the Unity version :

Unity logic maze

Not sure what browsers still support the Unity Web Player plugin - it does still work in the latest version of FF.

cheers, gryff :)

@ Temechon: Glad you like  what I did with your code. I do like the way you laid out the action  manager code  not one continuous lump of code but defining the the trigger and then the action - so much more readable to my mind ;)

I tried using intersect mesh but I kept getting stuck in the gates - so much better with the OnIntersectionEnterTrigger and OnIntersectionExitTrigger of the action manager.

@ RaananW: 6 - want to tell us how? Best I have done is 8.  Robert Abbot who designed this maze problem gives a solution with 10 gates.

yeah.. that's what i did was well... but still don't know how 8 or even 6 is possible... without cheating ... we are playing without cheating...right? :P

Ohw.. and I used the map... without it's reeeeally hard I think. Anyways. very well done! It's fun to play and has a nice look... sometimes my mouse got stuck because I think I moved out of the window and then it didn't stop walking. And if you try to walk trough closed gates it sometimes counts them as 'used'.

Maybe it could be a bit darker and some flickering lights... maybe add the slenderman who appears if you take too long to find the exit ;D

Maybe it could be a bit darker and some flickering lights... maybe add the slenderman who appears if you take too long to find the exit ;D

iice, I have thought about that, and the "slenderman" aspect. Robert Abbott designed a maze back in the 1990s called Theseus and the Minotaur which had a evil villain character which has been made into a java applet and is available for the various Apple devices.

This to me was an exercise in code hacking - but I do have a darker maze piece which one day I will finish.

I actually thought I broke it :-)

LOL Raanan. I t could be my code is bad :unsure:

If you look at the createWorld.js file you will see a couple of blocks of code REMed out - my cheat system so I could get from the start point to the end point in 3 moves ;) After so many maze trips - my testing might be suspect :unsure:

So there are several options:

1. My bad code - and you found a bug :blink:

2.  Or you are smarter than Paul Abbott and the rest of us :o

3. Or maybe I did not get the gates quite right :unsure:

Whatever, love to see your solution

1. My bad code - and you found a bug :blink:

2.  Or you are smarter than Paul Abbott and the rest of us :o

3. Or maybe I did not get the gates quite right :unsure:

Ehhhhhh, I think either 1 or 3! 

I tried doing again what I did yesterday, and alas - It didn't work! :-) So, as I said, I think I broke it. I didn't mess with the code or anything, it just happened...

But!! I have a screenshot to prove I am smarter than Paul Abbott!

So, just to explain how  I "did it" , on one of my computers it works flawlessly with no bugs. On the other, (same browser, surprisingly) it "skips" gates - so even if I pass a blue one, it stays blue. This way, I could also do it in 4 steps :-)

http://imgur.com/F5AnXZC,cXUfVAV

So it is impossible for me, using this computer, to do it without the map. Now I need to find the right solution....

I didn't found the solution yet... I feel so bad

Now I need to find the right solution....

Well Temechon and RaananW - see image below for the 10 gate solution. As there is an 8 gate solution that means two gates less - one red and one blue. The 8 gate solution should be easy to see. The whole puzzle revolves around switching direction in the top right corner.

it "skips" gates - so even if I pass a blue one, it stays blue

RaananW, I take it you mean it is still semi transparent and you can walk through it - so in theory first red ->turn right ->1st blue ->walk down to the exit corridor ->turn right again-> 2nd blue. So three gates in all.

Any thoughts as to why ? What are your two computers?

post-7026-0-87364300-1437012400.png