Please check out my new 3D website. Its awesome! :)

ozRocker

What about taking the drag movement, and if it's greater than a certain margin that you just hard rotate the camera. As in, not a free camera. Fixed camera until you get a drag input, then it rotates a predefined amount, and only once.

Do you mean like a swipe gesture?  I've considered things like using only buttons and gestures to move the camera but I decided I wanted the user to retain the freedom with camera movement, just so they have that extra bit of interactivity with the scene.  I feel like if I remove too much freedom with interaction then it starts to look like playback of pre-recorded sequences.  But yeh, I also realise that requiring too much interaction can seem like too many unnecessary steps.  I'd love to make a website where each menu option was represented by a different room.  But the tricky bit is finding what form of navigation users would prefer: walking to each room with full interaction, press a button and user automatically walks to the desired room, press a button and user instantly teleports to the desired room, fight through a horde of zombies on the way to desired room, etc...

Do you mean like a swipe gesture?  I've considered things like using only buttons and gestures to move the camera but I decided I wanted the user to retain the freedom with camera movement, just so they have that extra bit of interactivity with the scene.  I feel like if I remove too much freedom with interaction then it starts to look like playback of pre-recorded sequences.  But yeh, I also realise that requiring too much interaction can seem like too many unnecessary steps.  I'd love to make a website where each menu option was represented by a different room.  But the tricky bit is finding what form of navigation users would prefer: walking to each room with full interaction, press a button and user automatically walks to the desired room, press a button and user instantly teleports to the desired room, fight through a horde of zombies on the way to desired room, etc...

You could make the free camera only rotate a maximum distance per swipe. Then it's still free, but it wouldn't spin through rooms like a top.