problem with textures(with alpha)

eljuko

Hello,

So i made some sort of birch'ish tree and noticed strongly visible white edges on the foliage.

img1

Also another issue is with the trunk. You can see a vertical darker line where i put marked the seam in blender.

The reason the picture above is kinda small is because the vertical line there is more visible then.

i tried to create some margin for the trunk but it didn't help at all.

img2

Any hints to fix these issues?

EDIT: tested in edge -browser and didn't get the white edge issue. got those white borders with chrome. Seems like edge is good handling edges  :lol:

EDIT2: enlarged the texture margin by insane amount (around 10px). This fixed the seam issue, but the foliage issue still stands.

EDIT3: Added some sharpness to the foliage texture, and noted it only made the white edges worse. By adding a bit of blur behind the foliage texture drastically reduced the white edge thingies.

The difference between blurry and sharp edges in chrome (img3). I do not know if this is a common thing to know, but was completely new to me :)

- thanks, eljuko

eljuko:

adding a bit of blur behind the foliage texture drastically reduced the white edge thingies

It is quite a common trick - first found out about it years ago when I built stuff for Second Life

enlarged the texture margin by insane amount (around 10px).

I usually have margins that are at least 4px for textures that are not tiled

Something else to watch out for is changing image size of seamless textures and then saving as a .jpg. I often find it creates a seam.

cheers, gryff :)

Hey,

this is due to the threshold we use for alpha testing and how browsers implements texture filtering

Ahaa, i see.

Funny thing is i didn't get any of those white edge thingies on my wheat model, although it had much smaller texture compared to this tree.

Anyhow, working now and i know how to live with it :)

It is quite a common trick - first found out about it years ago when I built stuff for Second Life

Ok, is there any place to find these common tricks in case there's more of them? If not someone should make one, could save lifes  :lol:

- eljuko